please help i keep getting a message that my virtual memory ...

Customer Question
please help i keep getting...
please help i keep getting a message that my virtual memory is too low, also when i log into outlook express i am unable to delete files as my laptop freezes, i can send and receive emails but am unable to delete anything. my system runs on windows XP. My nortons antivirus has just expired and i have just come back from hoiday and this has... Read full answer
please help i keep getting a message that my virtual memory is too low, also when i log into outlook express i am unable to delete files as my laptop freezes, i can send and receive emails but am unable to delete anything. my system runs on windows XP. My nortons antivirus has just expired and i have just come back from hoiday and this has happened what can i do.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Computer
11/8/2006
Tech Support Specialist: Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant replied 12 years ago
Flagbridge-IT
Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant

Well if you laptop is running real slow and you are having these problems, I think you have a spyware problem.

First try to increase your virtual memory. The MICROSOFT instructions can be found HERE

However I dont think that will solve the problems.

If you have spyware/Trojan here are the links you need.

To get to safe mode look at the instructions at the bottom

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

1. Make sure Windows is updated (Tools/ Windows Update)
  2. Please install Firefox, and use it as your web browser whenever possible Firefox

Now here is what to do

1. Go to Section 2. Download the spyware removal tools and SAVE THEM
  2. Go to Section 3. Download the free AntiVIRUS and SAVE THEM.
  3. Go to Section 4. Downlload the clean up tools, and SAVE THEM.
  4. Boot into safe mode with networking
  5. Install the tools.
  6. Run the Antivirus FIRST (AVG) (update its definitions)
  7. Then run the Antispyware applications, ALL FOUR
  8. Then reboot into safe mode, and run the clean up tools.
  9. If you need more help, please download the items from Section 1 and let ms know

Cheers

===================================

Section 1. Analysis (only use this if I ask you to. Have the links ready if I need you to download)

Hijackthis (BHO, Startup, Registry hacks lister)

Startuplist (lists all startusp, and running files with DLL's)

DLLCompare (great to check to make sure "valid DLL's" are valid.)

Section 2. Spyware (Install, and update definitions. DON'T SCAN UNTIL IN SAFE MODE!!!. Run ALL FOUR SCANS and have them autorepair.)

Ad-Aware (spyware checker)

SpybotSD (spyware checker)

Ewido (spyware checker)

DrWeb Cureit (spyware checker and quarantine)

Section 3 Anti Virus

Panda Anti Virus (online virus scanner)

One by one virus Scanner (per file) Ideally for Kernel32.dll (c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll)

Free Anti Virus Application

Section 4. System Cleanup and Checking

TrendMicro HouseCall (hardware and spyware checker)

CCLeaner (cleans temp files)

Section 5. SAFE MODE INSTRUCTIONS.

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power .

Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.

When you see the memory counter stop counting on the bootup, Start gently tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears.

Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

IF YOU NEED THE INTERNET ASWELL CHOOSE SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Do you have a free anti-virus protection programme At the
Do you have a free anti-virus protection programme? At the moment I have got AVG and I think it is too much for my computor which is an older type and it is so slow and keeps telling me that my virtua… read more
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
Since yesterday, I have not been able to delete any of my emails
Since yesterday, I have not been able to delete any of my emails and my computer keeps locking up when I try to. I have done the Norton Antivirus thing and have no virus's. When I try to delete my del… read more
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
When I access outlook express, there is a message saying co
When I access outlook express, there is a message saying "connect to smeagol.internal.pvc.como.ch...I can go no further, as it has my email address and asks for my password, and if I put it in, nothin… read more
David L
David L
Stop searching for answers—
Windows xp ...Since Internet Explorer was automatically updated
Windows xp ...Since Internet Explorer was automatically updated from version 6 to 8 on Oct 12 2010...when a topic is "googled" the first response is normal but if the chosen web site is clicked the co… read more
arsufi2002
arsufi2002
im unable to send/recieve emails through outlook express.
i'm unable to send/recieve emails through outlook express. i keep getting error the host 'smtp' tiscali.co.uk could not be found error ox8oocccod… read more
Maggie P
Maggie P
HNC Computing
My Outlook Express email system is blocked. I cant send and
My Outlook Express email system is blocked. I can't send and I can't receive email. Also, I am unable to delete emails I have read. I'm running OE 6. with IE 7. on windows XP.… read more
IT Consultant,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have Outlook Express, and for the last two weeks, when I
I have Outlook Express, and for the last two weeks, when I go into retrieve my emails, It takes hours because it goes back and brings up emails ( long deleted) from 2007 onwards. I have deleted 2007,2… read more
Erik B.
Erik B.
Network Engineer,
Im having problems - 1. Im receiving a lot of error reporting
I'm having problems - 1. I'm receiving a lot of error reporting messages from the internet 7 Windows live - I say send Microsoft the error reports then my screen freezes and your company doesn't recei… read more
D. Marino
D. Marino
Independent Comp./Net. Security Pro,
I have received a message in my email box (outlook express)
I have received a message in my email box (outlook express) It is from a friend, I cannot open the message and if I try it freezes up my computer completely. I have been on the computer for 2 hours wi… read more
Computer Engineer
Computer Engineer
Master in Computer
my outlook express has a loop in the send function. It reports
my outlook express has a loop in the send function. It reports an error then repeatedly sends the e-mail. I have talked to my server and Norton and they seem to think it's in my softwear. Also I have … read more
Computer2010
Computer2010
Software development,
I am still waiting on a response to my question as to why my
I am still waiting on a response to my question as to why my Outlook Express is telling me I am low in memory which prevents me from sending emails and often opening them. There was an issue of my fun… read more
online_help
online_help
I have spam emails being sent to my AOL Spam Mail Folder and
I have spam emails being sent to my AOL Spam Mail Folder and Aol settings page does not response to a delete or change. Could it due to a Dell Computer setting? Thank you for your support and consider… read more
Computer2010
Computer2010
Software development,
Stop searching for answers—
when i receive an email from someone using outlook express
when i receive an email from someone using outlook express and try to respond OR try to forward such an email it goes into something that pops up and tells me that it can't be sent. at present i have … read more
Computer2010
Computer2010
Software development,
I am unable to send emails. My found messages were in an
I am unable to send emails. My found messages were in an Outbox folder. When I try to send them they go nowhere. My outlook program has had a message in the lower bar saying it is "preparing to send/r… read more
Qin Xia
Qin Xia
Yesterday afternoon I sent an e mail with a lot oh photograph
Yesterday afternoon I sent an e mail with a lot oh photograph attachments at approx 3.30pm. The e mail is still being sent. A message came on screen saying I was short on memory. Can you please advise… read more
Jerry Hannell
Jerry Hannell
After long periods of inactivity, my computer freezes up. I
After long periods of inactivity, my computer freezes up. I have to turn off the computer using the off button and not from the start button as everything is frozen up. I find this mostly happening wh… read more
Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech
Small Business owner,
Technical School
I keep getting e-mail messages that I cannot erase ...
I keep getting e-mail messages that I cannot erase once I read them. They turn into "Message could not be displayed Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check … read more
John D
John D
Bachelor Degree in Engineering
My computer keeps saying virtual memory is low ...
My computer keeps saying virtual memory is low Optional Information: OS: Windows XP; Browser: Other Already Tried: Spy Sweeper, Norton antivirus… read more
CEO,
Master Degree