hi, whenever i go into a chat room, in which ever screen ...

Customer Question
hi, whenever i go into...
hi, whenever i go into a chat room, in which ever screen name. a guy that i know always knows when im in even if i dont talk. how does he know this? i cant go in and just watch because he always know im there. is it something to do with my ip address or something? any advice much appreciated :)... Read full answer
hi, whenever i go into a chat room, in which ever screen name. a guy that i know always knows when im in even if i dont talk. how does he know this? i cant go in and just watch because he always know im there. is it something to do with my ip address or something? any advice much appreciated :)
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Computer
10/11/2006
Tech Support Specialist: Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant replied 12 years ago
Flagbridge-IT
Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant
What chat service do you use?
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: i use yahoo chat rooms occasionaly. its just whenever i go there, a certain person knows im in the room even if he does not know my screen name.i just wondered how he does this and he will not say :)
Your IP address is not made public by Yahoo for the yahoo chats. (SOURCE)

Do they send you a private message to your chat room nick or your messanger nick when you login?
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: no they dont send a message they just know when i enter the room?
So it is a particular room that you go in, and they know instantly that it is you, even if your screen name changes?

Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: yes thats right, but it seems to be if i enter any room. though i usually just occasionaly go in one ?? :)
Well as soon as you enter the room it will show a new person has entered. They can then go to the members list and use the right mouse button to click on your nickname (or the new person wcame on) and go to View Profile

Is that how they are finding you?

Or are you saying that if you registered a new user right away, that this person did not know, that if you went into the room this person would know it is you?

Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: yes even on an empty profile they still know its me...weird huh :)
Somethings not right.

Register a new name, call it flagbridgetestaccount
Then logout of messanger, login only with the new test account,

go to the chat room, and this person knows its you?

What if you entered from another computer?

Flagbridge-IT
Flagbridge-IT, Principal Consultant
Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: i have never tried entering from another computer in the same house. only from work. if i go on at work im almost sure he dont know its me then. so thats why i thought something to do with ip..or maybe my yim... but i will try the test account. i dont think he always knows what my screen name is. but only that i have entered the room :)
let me know how the test account works from home ok

Reply to Flagbridge-IT's Post: ok thanks for ur help :)
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Nothing is wrong with it. I am just trying to get back into
Nothing is wrong with it. I am just trying to get back into a permanently banned site that the site bamned me from(or the people behind it). … read more
Uran
Uran
IT Consultant, Network and System Admin,
Network Administration
This is. I mentioned to my mom what had happened with my
This is george. I mentioned to my mom what had happened with my phone and that i did an update and so on. well guess what? my mom has the s9 and she bought her phone from cricket and she did the updat… read more
Rennan Lui
Rennan Lui
IT Engineer Specialist,
Wow i just spent 10 minutes writing my question did u not
wow i just spent 10 minutes writing my question did u not recieve it … read more
Tim
Tim
Bachelors in Information Technology
Stop searching for answers—
Need to book geek guys for: 1. set up hard wire instead of
good day need to book geek guys for: 1. set up hard wire instead of wi fi for netflix; as well to install surround sound wireless speakers in tv room … read more
John Lohr
John Lohr
Owner / Technology Specialist,
Teaching Certification
Fernandez my concern how did i get a facebook account which
my name is ***** ***** my concern how did i get a facebook account which i never ever open i dont know anything about facebook because all my cousins saying i never contact with them this a fraud im r… read more
John - Tech Expert
John - Tech Expert
Computing Network Management and Design
I have followed the online instruction that you have
I have followed the online instruction that you have provided, and I am still not able to get my Google voice OBi talk unit to work. I have when you your troubleshooting guide with no success. … read more
Nhat Nguyen
Nhat Nguyen
Davenport University Instructor,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I am on a network at my job and I have been experiencing
I am on a network at my job and I have been experiencing serious problems with my computer running extremely slow. I really believe that someone haws hacked into my computer because every time my comp… read more
teamviewer hacked my computer, I can not even get the computer
teamviewer hacked my computer, I can not even get the computer to work. He said he comprimised my ip address… read more
Network Engineering Diploma
Hello what is this website used for, im afraid to click on
Hello what is this website used for, im afraid to click on it,.i heard its a site to track ips? someone tried to send me a link please dont post in public thanks… read more
Network Engineering Diploma
"My friend always appear idle in gtalk and his status keeps
"My friend always appear idle in gtalk and his status keeps changing from idle to available in a seconds then back to idle again . I know that he is using gmail for mobile but I dont understand how do… read more
Nick H.
Nick H.
Desktop Support Engineer,
I need to do a trace of a yahoo IM user and keep the window/route
I need to do a trace of a yahoo IM user and keep the window/route open. I have a friend who is considering suicide on right now, but I do not know her exact location… read more
I am getting repeated attacks from 34jh7alm94.asia, with an
I am getting repeated attacks from 34jh7alm94.asia, with an IP address of 61.61.20.132 , 443, how can I remove this coward from attacking?_Norton 2010 is doing a great job blocking, but it is quite an… read more
Computer Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
Thi i got a aspire 5517 laptop computer my webcam does not
Thi i got a aspire 5517 laptop computer my webcam does not work in just one chat room bikerornot chatroom can you help me fix this issue please i have a acer crystal webcam… read more
Leon Russell
Leon Russell
ITS Technician,
I have a chat room called Shemmies Hideaway. My room and
I have a chat room called Shemmie's Hideaway. My room and many others are being attacked by a young man, with MANY screen names who comes into the rooms and talks filth and leaves fast before we can b… read more
IT Manager,
my partner has aol, he only ever uses it for sending and recieving
my partner has aol, he only ever uses it for sending and recieving e mails, he does not use AIM. but on his contacts list he has just a name that is under auto added and no e mail address , he does no… read more
Support Technician,
When you have 2 internet boxes wired up to your computer and
When you have 2 internet boxes wired up to your computer and plugged in & everything, what does it actually do. I ask this in concern that i have my own which you could wire the internet cable to it f… read more
QCIHDTM
QCIHDTM
Is there a way to get the ip address of an entry on my sons
Is there a way to get the ip address of an entry on my son's honesty box on Facebook? We don't want to press charges we just want this kid to be forced to tell the truth about his actions.… read more
CIO,
there is a chatroom i use(US based) and i like but there is ...
there is a chatroom i use(US based) and i like but there is a moderator who has a grudge against me and the site administrator wont do anything is there anyone i can contact 2 report this… read more
Michael D
Michael D
Electronic Field Service,