how do i reboot my toshiba laptop the laptop does get ...

Customer Question
how do i reboot my...
how do i reboot my toshiba laptop? the laptop does get start up, it just powers up and then freezes.

Optional Information: OS: Windows XP; Browser: IE
Already Tried:
powering the laptop and trying to resetting the laptop while hitting f12. but had no luck getting the laptop to reset. it just loops back to the start up after asking for a password, which i do not have.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Computer
10/28/2005
Tech Support Specialist: Ted Neubauer, PC Systems Technical Lead replied 12 years ago
Ted Neubauer
Ted Neubauer, PC Systems Technical Lead
What type of password XXXXX XXXXX asking for, Windows log-on or BIOS?

If you have a valid Windows log-on userid and password,

*Press F8 during the initial boot sequence
*Select "Safe Mode" from the menu
*Log on
*Check the Device Manager for any angry devices
*Check the Event Viewer for any Application or System messages that may indicate the error.

You can get to both of the above by doing the following:

*Right-click on "My Computer"
*Click "Manage"

If you have some angry devices you will need to reinstall them with the current drivers.

If the system is asking for a BIOS password XXXXX you dont' have, you will need to reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a few minutes and then reinstalling it.

If the system is asking for a Windows log-on password XXXXX you don't have, you can try one of the following apps to reset the Administrator password:

You can download a single use demo version of Winternals ERD Commander. You will need to create a bootable CD.
Once you boot up to the CD navigate to the "Locksmith" utility. You can use this utility to change the Administrator password XXXXX your computer.

Their site is below:

http://www.winternals.com/Products/ERDCommander/

There is another free tool that works from a bootable floppy disk. You can download it from the site below.

http://www.loginrecovery.com/

Let me know what you find or if you need additional assistance.

Thank you,
Ted...
Ted Neubauer
Ted Neubauer, PC Systems Technical Lead
thanks for your help ted,
even though your advice did not
solve my problem. I appreciate your
advice regardless.
Tech Support Specialist: Stephen, Programmer replied 12 years ago
Stephen
Stephen, Programmer
Toshibas sometime have a problem with the power supply that causes this. You may need to let it reset itself.

Take the battery out and unplug the laptop - let it sit for about 1/2
hour, just to be sure, then put everything back together and rester the
machine.

Floating in the back of my head are a couple of keys that you can hold down as well to do this, but I can't seem to remember.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Let me know which password XXXXX XXXXX that you don't have and we can work in more detail on this?
Ted Neubauer
Ted Neubauer
Ted Neubauer, PC Systems Technical Lead