Ricky - Expert Tech
Ricky - Expert Tech, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5+ Years in Tech Support
98270431

I am trying to associate the extension .text with Excel.

Customer Question

I am trying to associate the extension .text with Excel. When I go into the control panel I find the .text but Excel is not listed as an app that is available. How do I add it?
JA: When did you last update Excel?
Customer: I had a big update that was done yesterday. When I looked to see if there were any updates pending it said I was all updated
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I'm a teacher and need to get this working!
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Ricky - Expert Tech replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is Ricky and I will do my best to help you today. What version of Windows are you using?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Windows 10

Okay, please right click any .text file and choose Open With... Then in the list that pops up, select Excel (or "Look for another app on this PC") and then check the box next to Always use this app to open .text files

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I was trying to save a .text file but it won't let me because there is no program associated with it. I

It should not be necessary to have a program associated with a file type to save as that filetype, but one moment please while I type the instructions to associate a file type

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
okay I got one to save but when I do the open with Excel still does not show up even when I look for another app on this pc. I definitely have Excel on this pc.

When you look for an app go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Excel and double-click the Excel.exe

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I lost you on the computer. I tried that and was able to associate the file. When I tried to save my file I got the same message. When I went back into the control panel hoping that XL would show up this time and I could link it that way it didn't work the only thing listed there was note pad I think

Okay, please right-click the Start menu and choose Apps & Features. Next, click Default Apps in the left column. Click on Choose Default Apps by File Type and find .text in the list and associate it with Excel.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Here is the error
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No excel
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I tried this also. Here is what I get

Okay, in that case unfortunately it is not possible to link Excel to .text files since Excel technically does not support .text. I'm sorry for the bad news. You can save the file as an exel file, then rename it to .text afterward in the file browser.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I do this all the time on my school computer. I'm downloading from out student data base and it doesn't give me an option to rename it

Does your school computer use Windows 10?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes

Are you using the same version of Excel on your school computer?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm not sure about that. I'll keep playing with it thank you for your help

Okay, thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
You're welcome. I just got it to work using a combination of things you suggested. Thanks again.

Okay, great! You're welcome