Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a 64-bit Windows 10 mmachine, but am tasked with

Customer Question
I have a 64-bit...

I have a 64-bit Windows 10 mmachine, but am tasked withworking on an old project written in32-bit Visual Studio 2005MFC, a project that will reside on a Win-2000 machine (don'task...). As it's a working app, it should compile on thefirst try,I have installed VS 2005 SP 2, and entered the paths to thespecial libraries the app requires in the VS C++ Directoriesoptions. But when I go to compilke (debug, Win32), it givesme errors saying it cannot find files in the libraries I havespecified. Further,it is not loading any symbols.I thought there must be something wrong with my setup,but myboss is telling me (without saying more) that it is an MFCproblem. I have been searching the net for days, but havecome up empty. Nothing pans out.
Additionally, if I build (not compile) it, it "succeeds" with22 Warnings, but no errors. I don't umnderstand how that canbe.Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: When could you last open your Visual Studio?

Friday, at work.

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or version of Windows?

No, we switched all our machines out to new Win-10 machines late last year.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of, though I am sure there will be questions.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2018
Programmer: Michael Rademacher, Network Administrator replied 25 days ago
Michael Rademacher
Michael Rademacher, Network Administrator

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I would need some additional information.

Could you post the messages about the missing files?

Could you provide a folder listing of the project?

Thank You

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I thought this might happen. Unfortunately I am at home, and the answers you need are at work. Can we pick this up tomorrow? Do we need to set a time?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Did you not get this message?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I don't understand. I' getting multiple responses. I will try to contact you tomorrow.

I am sorry I cannot do a remote session. I am on a secured monitored network.

Yes, I will wait until tomorrow.

Please just send me the information.

I dont have 2055 anymore however I think it was like this:

For the symbols you may want to check Menu Tools>Options>Debugging>Symbols an dthen add the following URL: http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

The symbols will be downloaded form there. You may also want to check on the old location where the project worked for the missing files and copy them over. You want to make sure taht all the .Net framework versions are installed and working.

I also assume you are using a licensed VS version not Express.

For a release build you would set

Project>Project Properties>Configuration>Linker>Debugging>Generate Debug Info to Yes and it will create the PDB symbol file. You can see the location there as well. It should be in bin\release

You can set the generation of PDB files under Project Properties>Build>Advanced>Output and set Debug Info to Full.

Next step is to go to Build> Configuration Manager and set the platform to x86.

You also neet to open one the solution file .vcproj (or similar depending on language) in the project folder with Notepad. You can then edit the Platform and set it to x86.

Also: I highly recommend that you use a 32 bit machine for this. It is just much more reliable and simulates the production environment better. You could also make an image (for example with BMWare Converter 4.0.x ) of the Win2000 machine and install Virtualbox on your Windows 10 machine. Then fire up the clone on your WIndows 10 machine as isolated emvironment. If it needs to be online you may first rename it and change the ip and so on (depends on your environment).