Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Installing ubuntu 18.4 on an HP media centre that had had…

Customer Question
Installing ubuntu 18.4 on...

Installing ubuntu 18.4 on an HP media centre that had had various problem withs including a flat battery, faulty ram and bad monitor cable. When installation starts it goes without pausing for language, location, pwords etc. when it stops it shows a green screen witha grey panel at the bottom. control + f2 brings up a tty screen asking for a password. ???

Technician's Assistant: What confuses you?

I am unable to go any where other than those 2 screens.

Technician's Assistant: Is there a specific language you're coding in?

The installation does not give me the opportunity to input any of my details.

Technician's Assistant: What's your objective? How can we solve this for you?

My objective is to end up with a useable OS

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Programming
5/26/2018
Programmer: Micky, Lead Systems Engineer replied 2 months ago
Micky
Micky, Lead Systems Engineer

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. This is a premium / paid support service.

Are you sure the install started? How long does it take to reach the grey screen?

The grey screen looks to me an issue with the X server while the graphical driver are not available for your media center.

Can you try to boot with "nomodeset" kernel parameter?

You can do this from grub (the bootloader), when selecting the kernel, press "e" key, go to the end of the line where the kernel is specified, and add the "nomodeset" parameter. Then continue to boot.

Further info on the ubuntu forum:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132&p=10069997#post10069997

I would also suggest to run memtest86 to double check that there are no issue with the ram.

You can download a bootable image from:

https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If this does not fix your issue, kindly provide more hardware detail about your HP media center.

Let me know if you need further assistance before leaving any negative feedback.

If this reply satisfy your need, please provide a positive feedback (from 3 to 5 star is considered positive)

Best Regards,
Micky [EMEA Timezone