Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have edited a page and updated. I also thought I had

Customer Question
I have edited a...

I have edited a page and updated. I also thought I had published it. However, my page is more of a draft and something else is showing up on that page. How do I get my edited page back on the webpage? I created a new page and it uploaded fine.

Technician's Assistant: Is there a specific language you're coding in?

I think it is html, if I am understanding your question.

Technician's Assistant: What's your objective? How can we solve this for you?

My website evidently was originally set up in Wordpress.org. I have issues sometimes with logging on, but am there today. My objective is to update a page and have it show up on the website. I have done the edits and want to have them show up on the website.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

I am not a programmer, so not sure I know the language too much. If I need to talk with someone one-on-one, I can.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Programming
3/26/2018
Programmer: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 3 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Perhaps the website has been updated, but you are still viewing an old cached copy on your computer or device.

Have you tried viewing the website on another computer or using a different browser, or have you tried clearing the cookies and cache for the browser you are using?

I started out and paid a $5 fee. But your company put $61 on my credit card. Now, for you to remotely access my site, there is another $39 fee. This is beginning to concern me. I haven't had any idea of an answer and already, we're looking at $100 on my credit card.
I did clear the cache, as that was one of the suggestions on the Wordpress.org site.

I am user of this site just like you, so I don't have any insight into your account, however you can contact the Customer Service department at http://ww2.justanswer.com/help for assistance with billing enquiries.

-

What else have you already tried?

It does look like you have requested a premium remote assistance service, however the payment for that service has not fully completed either - can you please check on your end to see if the payment went through if you want to proceed with it?

I have clicked around on the different menus on the side to just see what else is there, hoping to find help. I had previously created a new page and it is up and doing fine. If you'd like to take a look at my website, it is www.sunsetridgebuffalo.com and across the top there are buttons. The News and Events is the page I created with no issues. The page I am having problems with is under Meat. It is the first one, Where to Buy. I have a draft copy of it on the site, but can't get it to show up. Something else shows up on the page and I went to the Dashboard and see all of those titles there, but am afraid to delete them for fear I will mess up the page completely, and I don't know how to recreate it.

Ok, there are a number of coding errors on the Where to Buy page, which you can see here:
https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sunsetridgebuffalo.com%2Fwhere-to-buy%2F

As regards ***** ***** remote assistance service, I saw it was $39 more and backed out of that. I was hoping that we could do this as a chat. I don't see that I have gotten the $61 help yet, needless to say, $39 more
Ok, so I clicked on your link above. My question to you is how you are able to tell me about 36 errors on my page without accessing my webpage?
I was able to actually see the visual changes I had made to this page and they look great. The page just won't publish.

That's ok, we can reply back and forth as often as is necessary.

Are you familiar with working with code and resolving the coding errors, or do you just work visually?

If the page looks ok on your end but it won't publish then there may just be a delay in the web page updating.

As well as emptying your web browser's cache, did you also try to Empty All Caches in the WP cache plugin settings?

No, only on Firefox and IE

Ok, so try Empty All Caches in the WP cache plugin as well.

Could you also try making a subtle change on one of the other pages, for example add in a period . to see if it appears in the text on a different page?

I didn't answer the first question. I worked visually and then cook look at the text. When I had issues with alignment, I simply looked at the code and moved the changes around, but did not change anything other than at the bottom, there is a small paragraph and I changed the alignment to the left instead of right, while the rest of the text is to the right beside 3 pictures on the left.
There is a button that allows you to do visual changes in edit and then go to the code. That was how I was able to go back and change the alignment. I have a plug-in section on the Wordpress page, and will go look at that.
I don't see anyplace in the "Plugin" that offered emptying the cache.

Can you try making a subtle change on one of the other pages, for example add in a period . to see if it appears in the text on a different page?

Here is the guide to clearing all caches - you may need to install the total cache plugin first if you don't already have it or a similar one:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-install-and-setup-w3-total-cache-for-beginners/

On the Contact Us page, I went into edit and put a couple of spaces and added a period . at the end of the first line. It showed up on my screen when I previewed the page with the period there. I saw nothing on any other page.
I went back in and took the period out and updated the page, looked at the preview page and the period was gone. When I preview the Where to Buy Page, what comes up is what is showing on that page publicly. Which is: Under the Dashboard, heading At a Glance, there are five "posts" listed, which are the headings under each of the pictures shown on the Where to Buy Page presently: Rolling Hills of central NC; Unique Wedding Destination; Beautiful Gazebo for your....; Get up Close and Personal; Beautiful Sunsets. I don't know where that came from. It appeared once I tried to publish my edited page.

When did you first make the changes?

Did you save any changes as a draft?

Did you make any admin changes at all?

Two days ago I made the edits to the page and used the Update button to save it in. I then tried to publish it. I have tried changing the options to save as draft and then publish.

Do you see the Publish button appear ok and are you able to click it on the problem page in edit mode?

When I go to preview the page, it is not the content I have edited. Instead it is the photos and six heading that I previously listed above.

Do you have a backup of the original page, or can you remove the unwanted page and insert a replacement?

No, no backup of original page.
One note, I also found the Six Headings I previous listed, under the Posts. They are uncategorized and have the word 'sticky' beside each heading. Those are the ones that I am hesitant to delete for fear I will destroy the page.

Ok, so you will need to remove the problem page and insert a replacement page.

I did not create this page originally. It was created by my web designer, who no longer works for me. I am trying to do this myself and hoping I do not disable my website. I do not know how to remove the problem page and insert a replacement page. I know how to copy and paste, but I'm guessing that won't fix my problem!

Ok, I see you are not using the latest version of WordPress - can you try updating it first, and let me know if it works ok after that?

I was hesitant to update because I read that I needed to have a backup of the page before updating or might lose text.
I updated to the latest version. My edited page is still there. But still not able to publish it on page. If I delete those At a Glance Posts, will that enable me to publish the page? I don't know where those came from in the first place. I only added some new locations where to buy our meat and updated the page and tried to publish it. It was wonky in the alignment and I went back and moved the text and looked at the preview and got it aligned and then updated it and thought I was finished. But then those pictures and subtitles for the pictures came up instead.

It is worth a try, they may be preventing it from being published.

Let me know if removing the at a glace posts works?

No. But now I have a page which says, "Content of page not found".
Which page is it? Are you seeing it in preview or on the website?
Hold on. It is in preview that it says "Content of page not found". I will check on the webpage.
On the webpage, it has the contents not found message. In the upper left on the Where to Buy page of the webpage, above Where to Buy title, it says "Currently Browsing" on the website. I didn't notice that before.
Have I now lost you? I have been trying to log in to my website admin page, but it won't allow me to.
It is past 8:15 here on the east coast. I am assuming you may be gone for the day. Sandy

Hi Sandy, have you been able to get logged in again to the admin page?

No I haven't. I have a meeting this morning, so I won't be able to go thru this until afternoon. Can I contact you later? I will try to log in again. I have been having trouble logging in sporadically anyway. I have to go to an email link to get on sometimes. Thanks for contacting me. Do I just click on the link above "request me again'? Can we resume then?

Yes, you can reply back again to me any time - please continue on the same question page so I can keep a track of the thread.

Ok, Pete, I'm baaaaack. Let's get you remote access to my website and have you see if you can resolve this problem. One thing that I thought about last evening was the fact that the other web designer had some code which had a prefix of stpr.sunsetridgebuffalo.com. My original sign in was stpr.sandypnnc. I deleted that and changed it to my name only: sandypnnc as user name. This may be why I have trouble logging in. But now I'm using a link and getting on. But I've got to get that changed so I can log in. I'm in now. I've tried once again to update and publish but it wont' do it. Can you help with this and let's move on. Just let me know the charges, if you will.

Hi Sandy, I'm going offline now so I will open up this question to the other experts.