Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I am using a macro to split a file and distribute via

Customer Question
Hi I am using...

Hi I am using a macro to split a file and distribute via e-mail. The file is being split but the e-mail is not being created and distributed. can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Outlook

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access Outlook? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

I'm at work so desktop

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I've changed the e-mail address I've tried copying a macro from a file which worked before I've looked at line by line of the macro I inherited this macro. I did not create it

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Programmer: armymil2003, Programming Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
armymil2003
armymil2003, Programming Enthusiast

Hello and welcome! I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

The macro is on an Excel file, correct?

wait you just charged me $56.00 to ask me if the file is in excel. Am I being charged another $39.00 onc you connect to my computer?

The charge itself comes from the website when asking a question. I didn't charge you myself. I am just the expert assigned to your question. The ad you see is just a suggestive ad if you want me to access the file on your PC. What you can do is upload the file to me so I can view it and we don't need to do the secure connect option.

But how much more will I be charged in addition to that $56.00?
actually $5.00 + $56.00

That's it unless you opt for a secure connect to share your screen. Those are for issues where you want me to see an issue you can't describe.

I help people setup programs that have issues going into the settings of those programs. We don't need that option for an Excel question.

Where can I upload the file without the secure connect?

On your screen where you are typing, there should be a paperclip that you can click on.

If it's not letting you or you're having issues with it, you can always use a third party option like https://uploadfiles.io/

because the file is an .xlsm I am getting an error message saying file cannot be read
that site is blocked by the company

I can give you my email address to send it to me.

***@******.***
Hi have you received the file?

I just now received it! Reviewing it now.

Okay, so looking at the code. I see it will prompt a question and then follow up with a series of other steps. At what point does it fail? Is everything still on your "F" drive?

everything is still on my "F" drive. It is failing at Create an e-mail
Public Function CreateMail(strTo, strSubject, strBody, strAttachment) As Boolean
we just migrated our e-mails to a new address I am thinking that is part of the problem. All I did was change the e-mail address to the new domain

Besides changing the domain, did you modify anything else? The reason I ask is I am trying to locate where it calls for the email. I see the function program but trying to figure out how it knows to run it.

hmmm...no I didn't do anything else except change the e-mail. The file is stored on our 'F" drive. I'm not sure if someone else touched the file and broke it

Based on this, it looks like it isn't calling for the email so once the file is done, it saves and closes out. Let me look some more into it and see if I can attempt to fix it. Excel is unique with it's VBA scripting because each setup is unique. Although a fix for one sheet might work, it could break another one.

okay, thank you

I've tried to add some coding to it to see if I could get it to move forward with the email function. I see what it's trying to do. Does the original file still work even with the bad email addresses?

it splits the file. Then the macro stops. It does not create an e-mail nor send out an e-mail

I have some suspicions that someone may have modified the original file beyond the email addresses. I figured it would have asked to send or give an error when trying to send. I don't have an outlook program or email program on my computer, so it should pull up Outlook that's not setup and ask me to set it up. It's not doing that at all.

Can we fix this today? If you need to remote to my computer so you can see what happens o my computer we can do that.

What I'll need to do is opt out to let a more experienced Excel expert in this case take over since you have a time constraint on it. I would have continued to mess with it to get it to work. What will happen is I will opt out and let someone else take over. You won't need to do anything and when someone responds, you will get an email.

To the next expert, she has an Excel Macro that is not sending after it compiles the data. It worked at one time but for some reason, it stopped working. She will have to email it to you because the site does not like the format.

I'm sorry I couldn't resolve the issue today but standby and another expert will jump in.

okay thank you for looking into this
umm...will I hear from another programmer today?
Programmer: Michael Rademacher, Network Administrator replied 3 months ago
Michael Rademacher
Michael Rademacher, Network Administrator

I am Michael.

Could you copy and paste the macro section that has to do with the mailing into a message?

I will take a look if you want me to.

Thank You

Michael

Hi Michael are you still available to look into this issue?