Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I switched my domain from ipage to squarespace and now I…

I switched my domain...

I switched my domain from ipage to squarespace and now I can't log into wordpress to retrieve my content

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to access the WordPress dashboard?

No it won't even let me go to that. It says user does not exist

Technician's Assistant: Are you receiving any error messages or emails from WordPress?

No. It's like they just shut me out when I switched my domain to squarespace

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

3/21/2018
Adam B.
Adam B., PHP/SQL/Scripting Enthusiast

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm glad to be of service to you. Let me review what you've already given to come up with the best approach to proceed. I do need you to know though before we get started that to help others here on JustAnswer better, I will assume if I don’t receive a reply for five minutes on a question, I will have to assume you are idle and will opt out of the question.

What is the URL for your Wordpress admin page?

Http://www.glimpseguides.com/wp-admin

Thanks! Let me check it out.

Adam B.
Adam B., PHP/SQL/Scripting Enthusiast

I'm new to JustAnswer to bear with me on the secure remote assistance piece. :)

Okay thanks

Ack! It's only for Windows. I'm on a Mac. I'm not sure if I'll need it anyway. Just a sec.

How did you transfer from iPage to Squarespace? Did you use a certain tool?

No I just went into Squarespace and clicked transfer domain

Gotcha. That helps.

My wordpress was always backed up onto ipage so my content should be there, I just don’t know how to find it

Got it. So you did not follow this page? https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/206543957-Importing-content-from-WordPress

Apologies. That's for Wordpress.com blogs.

I followed that and received a Success but it did not actually import my content
I need to somehow find my content on ipage

Do you have FTP or SSH access to your ipage host?

I don’t know what that is

OK. Let me do some digging to see what the transfer actually did.

Here's a link showing you FileManager in the ipage control panel. Can you get there? http://members.ipage.com/knowledgebase/read_article.bml?kbid=280

Great! Have you ever setup FTP access before? http://members.ipage.com/knowledgebase/read_article.bml?kbid=998

We need to download your site on ipage and upload it to Squarespace.

No
Do you know how to do that?

Yes. Can you set me up with another user account for ipage or are OK with providing me your ipage credentials? If so, I can do this for you.

log in is glimpseguidescom, password ***** *****!

Thank you. I'll update you momentarily.

Oh, good. It looks like you've got a full backup as of midnight. Is the information in that backup current enough to transfer over to Squarespace?

it is

Got it. Could you provide your Squarespace credentials as well?

password *****
One sec looking it up

I've got the site backup and now downloading the database backup.

Amazing

Do you know if the transfer operation transferred both the files and the database?

I don’t think so

Also, is it OK if I completely remove the site from Squarespace and do it over?

Will that be able to get you back into Wordpress?

I believe so. If you'd rather hold off on doing that for now, I can.

Is there no way to download the old files and transfer them to Squarespace?

Perhaps. I'm still looking into that but I wanted to check with you to see if I could just wipe it out and start over to ensure I didn't miss anything.

If it needs to be transferred back to Wordpress then okay, I was just worried that still wouldn’t get to my old content

Nah, I don't think it does. Let me dig a little deeper.

Thank you

Well, I have some bad news. Since Squarespace doesn't run Wordpress underneath the site like you had before, you can't access /wp-admin like you're used to. It's a completely different platform.

I *could* move everything over to Squarespace for you manually but there's really no point. You'd be better off moving to another Wordpress webhost.

But is my content still in ipage? Everything should be backed up. I don’t want to use Wordpress anymore, and everyone raves about Squarespace so that’s really the platform I want to use

Yes. Your content is still in ipage. That wasn't affected. If you want to use Squarespace, you're going to have to re-setup a lot of things. It looks like the transfer brought a lot of stuff over but not everything. Since Wordpress and Squarespace are so different, the conversion process couldn't possibly transfer everything.

If I could have my blog posts and guides transferred that would be amazing

I could do that but that'd take some time. You're getting more into custom web dev work at that point.

Okay how long do you think that would take?

I don't think it'd be too difficult but I'd have to figure out how Squarespace displays page. I'm familiar with Wordpress but not with Squarespace. I'd guesstimate 1-2 hours but at this point, you're getting way out of the JustAnswer price you're paying.

I was hoping it'd be an easy fix for you but due to my inexperience with Squarespace, it turned out not to be. :/

Okay can you let me know what that pricing would be? The design doesn’t need to be set up the same way it was. And I don’t need any of the photos

My normal consulting rate is $175/hour. I can do it but honestly, you could find someone a lot cheaper than that to do this.

The price doesn’t bother me, I just need my old content back as quickly as possible

I can do that for you now.

Okay thank you

I'm getting an odd error I'm looking at ipage. "ERROR: 415 registrant (end-user) authentication error"

The domain registrar is http://tucowsdomains.com. Did you register the domain there? You'll need to change the name servers for that domain to ns1.ipage.com and ns2.ipage.com. The site will then point to your ipage host.

No but make sure it is not the glimpseguidesapp domain you’re looking at
I didn’t register the domain anywhere except with ipage and then Squarespace after that

no, it's glimpseguides. I guess ipage did the registration there. Hmm..

At this point, I'm going to have to refer you to ipage support. I can't change the nameservers via their control panel. The error is: ERROR: 415 registrant (end-user) authentication error

They’re useless, I already tried them. I’ll try to find another programmer, because when I’m on my control panel in ipage it says the name servers are the ones you needed them to be

When you click on Nameservers, it says Other but when you look at them closer, they show what they should be. They are definitely not right because the IP address that they're pointing to isn't the one being resolved on the Internet.

I'm pretty sure they will have to help you get them updated correctly now.

Okay

Apologies for not being able to get this going for you.

not sure how to do it but feel free to cancel the request.

Okay thank you for your help

np

Hi Adam, you helped me yesterday and I'm just wondering if you were able to download all of my files in ipage? I think you were doing that. Is there any way to send them to me?