Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a Postfix configuration issue. Do you have postfix…

Customer Question
I have a Postfix...

I have a Postfix configuration issue. Do you have postfix expertise?

Technician's Assistant: Is there a specific language you're coding in?

This isn't programming. This is administration of the Postfix mail delivery program on a Linux server. SOunds like you don't have any experience with it.

Technician's Assistant: What's your objective? How can we solve this for you?

You didn't answer my question. Do you have expertise with configuring postfix on a Linux server?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Programmer: George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 month ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilizing our services

That was a robot which helps you describe your issue before an expert takes over.

Please provide your configuration requirements and the issue that you are encountering and I will assist.

Regards,

G

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I try to send this email from my Linux server:
mailx -s "Test Email"***@******.*** < /tmp/test-emailit doesn't get delivered (it does make it to the relay host and Exchange Server, but it doesn't get delivered b/c of Exchange rules, I think)
but this one does:
mailx -s "Test Email"***@******.*** < /tmp/test-emailWe recently converted from HPUX(where both of the emails above worked) to Linux, where they don't work. I suspect that they worked on the old HPUX sever b/c of domain masquerading where the sending domain got converted from uterptst.spartans.ut to ut.edu Apparently for the Exchange server to deliver emails sent to <username>@Spartans.ut.edu, they must appear to come from <user>@ut.eduI worked with SUSE support to try and set up similar masquerading on the new Linux server by setting myorigin=ut.edu in the postfix config file, and then the emails to <username>@Spartans.ut.edu started working, but it caused local emailing to break. This
mailx -s "Test Email" ithk < /tmp/test-emailno longer works. I need to know what configuration parameter(s) I need to set in the Postfix configuration file so both, emails to Spartans.ut.edu and local email(with no domain specified) get delivered.The actual domain name of the Linux server is:live: nslookup uterptst
Server: 10.3.11.12
Address: 10.3.11.12#53Name: uterptst.spartans.ut
Address: 10.2.24.165Please advise.

Ok thank you so much for the information. Just a moment while investigate this a bit.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, typo:***@******.***Although I'm not what you're trying to accomplish. Whether or not your email gets delivered is a function of how you have your Exchange records set up. So unless you're masquerading your sending domain to uterptst.spartans.ut, it won't be an accurate test.

So I am basically investigating outcomes when sending to different domains. GMail does not accept it by default while Yahoo does. When sending to my work one it gets blocked by the SPAM filter.

So in your case I get the following. If you do not get the message please check your SPAM folder:

postfix/smtp[15427]: EE3C57C2F21: to=<*****@******.***>, relay=mxa-001b8f01.gslb.pphosted.com[148.163.158.45]:25, delay=3.8, delays=0.04/0/2.9/0.83, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 2gk4jn8byy-1 Message accepted for delivery)

I would also like to see your log it should be in /var/log/mail.log

The log can help us troubleshoot your issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Whom will the message be from, so I can help Sherry identify it? Also as the mail log of the Linux server, it won't have any record of the test message you sent to Sherry, b/c it's not an email sever. It's an app server that sends email locally and to outside domains. It doesn't handle incoming mail for <username>@sartas.ut.edu.

it should be from George <*****@******.***>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She got your test email.

Ok. What is your Linux distribution?

I have sent it from Ubuntu Linux

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's SUSE Linux
Linux uterp 3.0.101-63-default #1 SMP Tue Jun 23 16:02:31 UTC 2015 (4b89d0c) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Just a note that I am still on this. I have OpenSUSE running and investigating on it

So, I have sent her a message with this command:

echo "Test from OpenSUSE" | mailx -s "George Testing"***@******.***

I did not receive a error response I assume she has received it you may confirm.

Please try the same command from you machine and let me know of the outcomes.

To see if there was an error while sending the message, you may execute mailx without parameters from the command line and you will see a list of messages if there was an error response.

Alternatively you may read the file named mbox found in your home directory. It has the send email error responses

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you getting SUSE Linux support to come up with the solution, then don't worry about it. Unless you have a different support contract with them than we do, you'll have to pay for consulting services, b/c they don't consider this issue break/fix. My management agreed yesterday afternoon to pay consulting to MicroFocus/SUSE, so, I'm working with their consultant now. No point in duplicating effort and expense. You can just close this issue and have them issue me a refund. Thanks!
It’s sending the messages with default configuration. Without the log or the response that you get when you send from your machine there is no way I can be able to help. You may close the request from your side and the refund will be processed
ATLPROG
ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer