Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I would like help in designing excel worksheets to track…

i would like help in...
i would like help in designing excel worksheets to track multiple bank accounts along with multiple catagories.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2018
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

how does the information get into excel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
downloaded from various bank accounts, ie: citibank and US bank

so once the data is in there then you want to track it in some way

can you provide some kind of example of what you want to do.

You can use fake data.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
our children borrows money from us using their citibank cards on the same account.

if you could send an example that shows what you want to accomplish that would be helpful

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will you be able to help with this tomorrow? I still have to get a list of catagories.

ok, contact me then

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would like a running balance for 3 people using the same card number from citibank.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also our savings account needs to have running totals of various categories ie: county taxes, vacation fund, house fund,
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK,

did you still want to work on this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Attached is a rough draft of a workbook. the first 4 pages is the data from the bank accounts we download from US Bank and Citicard. The rest of the pages are the accounts we want to attach the data to. I'm unsure if the accounts should have their own pages or are better if they are reflected some other way. Once we download the data there will be 2 columns that are already on the page which are Notes and Name. Once we select the name the entire row will be added to the various accounts. Attached is the workbook with some actual bank transactions.If you can help with this step I probably will need help with other issues that I will have and you can charge me accordingly. Thank you

i did not see the actual file,

try attaching again

oh I see it was emailed.

This is an absolute mess.

I see you are trying to add a name then have that content moved to a specific page that matches the name,

Can you provide a few examples, try to use sheet names and rows and column letters, the column letters go across the top, and row numbers down the left side.

Try to provide example of where name is ***** ***** were that information would go specifically once the name is entered

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I copied a couple of lines into checking 1 and hyperlinked the row to the referenced page

so bascially you are looking to automate this a bit, you want to enter the sheet name that it goes to then have it goto the next available row on that sheet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If you work on that problem I can work on getting the next problem I'll run into. What we're trying to accomplish is to use the download options

i dont know anything about download options

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the bank sights offer a download option where I can download my transactions for the last 60 days. This saves us time by not havinf to enter the date, name and amount

well here is the deal

I can only deal with data once it is in excel.

It would require a macro, which would be an additional cost

and then you could have it where once you enter the data into excel weather it was from downloads or you copy and paste, however you decide to get it into excel you could then run a macro to copy it to specific sheets based on entering the sheet name.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, What I do is download the data to a temporary worksheet, and then I copy and paste into the permanent worksheet where all the data from the year has been processed.

i can work with that.

I just want to make sure I completely understand what you are trying to do

you will copy and paste into a specific sheet.

THen you will make sheets for each name you want to assign.

then you will go through and add the names to a specific column within the data.

THen press a button and the macro will go through and copy each line to the next available row on the specific sheet matching the names you assigned.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that will do fine, A question, can the row be added to the appropriate sheet using the "if" function? I am uploading the workbook again where I will have the names of the sheets in a coliumn on the 1st page.

an if function is not going to do it, it has to be a macro

I need to know what version(Year) of excel you are using

and your operating system

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2007 excel with Windows 10.

ok,

I am sending the additional service offer now.

accept the offer and I can get started.

The macro will have the following restrictions

1. when you copy and paste in, data must go to the first sheet always

data must be in columns A - however many columns you have.

2. tab names must always be put in the same column, I would say column A just for ease of use.

3. tab names must match the names in column A exactly (case sensitive). If they do not the line will be ignored by the macro.

4. You will press a button to get it started.

5. it will always copy the row to the next available row in the destination sheet, based on column A.

So if you have something in column A row 17 on a given sheet, it will start in column A row 18 with the copied information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
great, I will get back to you tomorrow after I get a chance to try it out.

um I need the offer of additional service accepted before I can get started

did you still want me to work on this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been out of town since Thursday and will be able to continue on Monday. What does, "additional sevice" mean? Yes , I want you to work on ths. The above description looks good to me however it may need additional work once I tested it.--

additional service is to cover an additional fee because of the complexity of what you want, it is more involved for me to create a macro then to use simple formulas.

This does not cover any changes down the road that might be needed, and will just be based on the original request and descrpition I provided.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's fine, I understand.

so if you want to get back to me monday is fine

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You're welcome to work on the macro before Monday. But whatever you decide is fine. Thank you.

i will get started on it. check back tomorrow should have working version by then.

done:

Had to add to zip file,

I inlcuded instructions sheet in file

You may get some kind of security box at the top of excel when you open, "enable Macros" enable content, something to that effect you have to do that or it wont work

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer