Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a spreadsheet with customer sales and market

I have a spreadsheet...

I have a spreadsheet with customer sales and market information for the first half of 2017. The list has over 10,000 rows. I added the market segment manually from a drop down menu. Very time consuming. I am now asked to do the same for the second half of 2017. The rows do not match as some customers may not have sales in either half. How can I get that market information transfer per customer easily?

Technician's Assistant: What application are you using?

Excel and I have also made an Access table. Although today was the first day to ever use that software.

Technician's Assistant: Have you updated Excel recently?

I believe we are using 2013

1/17/2018
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

is it possible to send an example sheet of how your data is arranged, it is difficult to answer this without getting some idea of what you want to achieve.

absolutely. Can I attach it here?

yes, should be a link to send files share files something to that effect

I don't see it. The only link I see is showing $39. Is that it?

that is for remote support I think which you may not need.

Is there a paperclip icon or something like share files with expert

i dont know what you see on your screen

Found it!

give me a minute to open it

no that I have it open can you explain what you want to accomplish?

I want to transfer the 2017 H1 information to the Field Aerospace and also Business Unit to my new sheet.

which sheets which columns in which file are you trying to get to where?

H1 Sheet, column H Aerospace and I Business Unit information transferred to the H2 sheet. The columns are not identical to just copy. I need to make sure the Customer Name or ID match the market segment.
Sheet Standard SHAPE form to fill out

got you so you wnat to copy the H column values from the first file to the 2nd file but to make sure they match the id#s in column A, becasuse they are in a different order.

there are a couple of ways to achieve this. One is using formulas the other is with a macro.

The first is easier to impliment, but the 2nd is more expensive and difficult to impliment but more versitile such as working across multiple files, and copying multiple columns Ect..

HOw do you want to proceed

This is going to cost more than the $56 I've already paid?

if you want to go with the macro route.

HOw often do you have to do this?

do you want to try the formula and see how this works.

here is the formula for cell H2 on file version Rev_2H

=VLOOKUP($A2,'[Customer_Sales_with_Market_Served_2017_1H_Rev2.xlsx]Standard SHAPE form to fill out'!$A:$H,8,0)

now the part between the '[]' is the name of the file, this formula asssumes that both files are in the same folder on your computer

and that the filename is ***** ***** as the file you sent me

once you enter the formula into cell H2, you can copy and paste the formula or drag copy down the entire column for however many rows you need

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

*** REMEMBER TO APPLY BONUS, THIS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED AS IT IS HOW I MAKE A LIVING ***

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/s

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.

I did it and there is a lot of errors. It matched only about 800 rows.

can you tell me what the errors say?

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer
If I have the wrong file, I just edit, correct?

this part is the file name

'[Customer_Sales_with_Market_Served_2017_1H_Rev2.xlsx]

rembmer you need the .xlsx and it needs to be in the same folder.

Thank you!

no problem, if you do need me further on this problem just ask