Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

How do I get my restored Microsoft Wordpad .rtf files to…

How do I get my...
How do I get my restored Microsoft Wordpad .rtf files to stop coming up in Landscape orientation. I want them to normally come up in Portrait orientation? (Tech Viet helped me a few days ago.)
I goofed! No browser is used when pulling up Wordpad .rtf files.
1/13/2018
syseng
syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

I do still need a reply. I had to go to bed and just shut down my computer last night. I see today in my email that I could have responded to a tech named Viet yesterday. Would it be better if I did that?
No, I would like to know how to change such settings in Wordpad, thanks.

To change the the page orientation to portrait in Wordpad, first open Wordpad, then click the Menu button located in the top left corner of Wordpad, then click Page Setup in the menu that appears, then click to select the Portrait button, then click OK.

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

Do you need further assistance?

How do I get my restored Microsoft WordPad .rtf files to stop coming up in Landscape orientation. I want them to normally come up in Portrait orientation?

Yes, just do the following:

Yes, just do the following:

I do not find a 'Menu' button, only a 'FILE' button which does have the Page Setup that you mention. Page Setup is what I have I been using to get each file that I use, from Landscape orientation to Portrait orientation before I click OK. But after I save and FILE the file (with Portrait orientation), the next time that I pull up the file to work on it, it comes up in Landscape orientation as though that is the new Word Pad default orientation! How do I get my restored Microsoft WordPad .rtf files to stop coming up in Landscape orientation? I want them to normally come up in Portrait orientation as they used to weeks, months and years ago!

It sounds like you have an older version of Windows installed on your computer. What version of Windows (such as Windows 8, 7 or XP) is installed on your computer?

I have Windows10 now, but had Windows7 until Jul 2016.

Ok, thanks.

Please do the following to reset Wordpad settings back to defaults:

First, close Wordpad.

Next click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

regedit

in the Search box and press Enter. When prompted confirm that you want to open regedit.

In the registry editor navigate the following path to the Wordpad registry folder:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Wordpad

Right click on the Options folder inside the Wordpad folder and click Export, then type a name into the Name field of the window that appears and click Save.

Then right click on and Delete the Options folder.

Then start Wordpad and the settings will be reset to default.

I reached the naming point of your instructions, "...Right click on the Options folder inside the Wordpad folder and click Export, then type a name into the Name field of the window that appears and click Save."
By 'Name" I assume you meant 'File Name'. If so, can you suggest a name? Should it be something suitable and/or memorable? Thanks.

Yes, I suggest naming it Wordpad Registry Options 011918

I used the File Name 'WordPad Registry Options 012018' today and saved that name.) When I deleted the Options folder a message came up, "Are you sure you want to permanently delete this key and all of its subkeys? Yes No"I tried 'No', not wanting to delete what I had just saved, but the new blank WordPad file that I checked came up in landscape orientation. Then I went through your 'reset WordPad settings procedure' again, but answered 'Yes' after starting the delete of the Options folder. WordPad files still opened in landscape orientation, and did so after my changing and saving in portrait orientation.

Ok, since the printer default preferences may also affect how Wordpad displays documents, click the Windows Start button then click the Search box and type

Devices and Printers

then click the Devices and Printers icon that appears.

Right click on your default printer and click Preferences. In the window that appears select the Portrait radio button and click Apply then OK.

Then open Wordpad to see if the setting has changed the Wordpad default to portrait layout.

I am sorry to report that your latest instructions led me to a dead end. Searching for 'Devices and Printers' led to System settings 'Printers & scanners' (not to a 'Devices and Printers' icon). Right clicking on my default printer field (which also included the additional phrase "App available for this device") did nothing, but left clicking brought up four choices;
Open printer app Open queue Manage Remove device
I did not click on 'Remove device', but clicking on each of the first three choices did not appear useful. After re-trying your steps several times I gave up.

One last idea that may work is the registry setting change but reboot after making the change. Normally registry settings require a reboot to take effect however in this case it did not seem like it was needed. So go back into the registry, delete the Wordpad Options folder then close the registry editor and reboot and then open Wordpad and test to see if the issue is resolved.

No luck. I typed a new name, 'Wordpad Registry Options 012118', saved it, then deleted the Options folder, and exited the registry folder. I then shut down. After rebooting I opened a new WordPad file, and then a past WordPad file. Both files came up initially in landscape orientation and both later after being changed and saved in portrait orientation.

Ok then I am going to open up your question to other experts that may have additional ideas.

Elgin Vega
Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you with this request.

to Change your wordpad orientation go to file / Page setup / and select portrait orientation.

Let me know if work

I can change WordPad document orientation when working on it. After saving the changed document and re-opening it, it is always back in landscape orientation. A new, blank document is always starts in landscape orientation.

Try changing the page orientation in your printer too, please

If a document to be printed is in landscape orientation, I can change my printer to print with portrait orientation.

Well it seems like I dont know how to fix the problem.

I will opt out so other expert can help you.

Aitizaz
Aitizaz, Software Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! i am Aitizaz and i will assist you today with your problem

I am sorry to hear about this problem. This is quite annoying a problem since the two formats are entirely different when printed on a paper. however the good part is that it can easily be rectified.

Please let me know when you are ready so that we may proceed with the correction process. thank you

This Fred (for Fredric). I am ready for you to go ahead.
Hi Aitizaz,
I am Fred {Fredric). (I believe that I responded to Patrick Evan earlier today, but apparently too late in the day.) Anyway, I'll try again to explain my trouble. Currently, whenever I recall a Microsoft WordPad file, it always comes back in landscape orientation even if it was changed to portrait orientation before saving it. I did not notice this for a period of days after Viet - Computer Tech, about 01/07/2018, had solved a problem I had being unable to even recall WordPad files.
You will probably need more information. But I need to respond to an 01/24/2018 email from Ever V. of JustAnswer Customer Support, so I am signing off until tomorrow. Fred
Viet - Programmer
Viet - Programmer, Programming Tutor
The fix is to set the printer's default settings to portrait. Thank you.
Viet - Programmer
Viet - Programmer, Programming Tutor