Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have an excel question. 3 days ago. Utilizing a

Customer Question
I have an excel...

I have an excel question.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Excel?

3 days ago.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Excel?

Utilizing a spreadsheet I've built. Attempting to find a solution to a formula problem.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Programming
1/8/2018
Programmer: Jason Jones, Programmer replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Programmer

I look forward to helping you today.

How may I be of help today?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

I have an excel document that I'm trying to properly calculate the Capital Release column ($L) with the dollar amount of the various amounts from Starting Amount and Re-invest amounts. The capital release column should add any amounts that overlap each other, in other words if 2 different amounts have a release day of 240, the total of both amounts should show as a single amount in the capital release column. I'll add the file for your viewing.

I have the document now. Please, walk me through the process that you want the formula to follow, step by step. This is the first time I am seeing this document, so please keep that in mind.

Verify that you have the amount $1010 in the "Starting amount" cell (E3). If you look at (i7) you'll see $10. that number is ***** over to P7 with a release day on 301 (Q7). I want the amount in P7 to go to the corresponding cell at "day 301" which would be cell (L305) but if there are other Capital Release days that are also associated to that specific number, I want the numbers to be added together and then put in that L305 cell. One example of 2 cells with the same release day would be release day 440.

I am sorry, but I am not following the flow of this formula. I must be at fault for not understanding.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Cell (L445) is day 440, there are 2 amounts (40.00 and 1010.00) that should be added and then entered in cell (L445) right now it shows just one of them. I'm not sure if I can use an IF statement to have both added. These can't be static formulas as if you modify starting amount, deposits, and withdraws, the spreadsheet changes calculations.
Programmer: George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 3 months ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising our services

I am reviewing your question and will post back shortly

Regards,

G

I am close, I think. I tried the following formula in cell L445... =IF(Q146=Q206, P146+P206,) it adds the amounts in that particular instance, but if I change an amount, it won't put the right number in the cell. In other words if it doesn't need to add two cell amounts together, it should just put an individual amount but it puts 0 instead.

Ok noted, I am on it

So, in this case it puts a zero because there is nothing after the last comma.

If it does not need to add, what should it ideally have?

It should have 0 for the amount, but if there is a single field that matches, it should add that amount in the cell.This is what I have for example: =IF(Q145=Q205, P145+P205,),IF(C444=Q145, P145, 0),IF(C444=Q205, P205, 0)But it's asking for a value. I'm not sure how this will work yet if I change a value that affects those cells.

Ok, you need another if after the last comma, something like:

=IF(Q145=Q205, P145+P205,IF(condition, P145,P205))

i.e in this case if condition is true it will put P145 and P205 otherwise.

Would this be the same or would your option be more ideal?=IF(Q145=Q205,(P145+P205),IF(C444=Q145,(P145),IF(C444=Q205,(P205),0)))

I think yours is closer to what you want since you understand the data better, the IFs are nested correctly.

Ok, not sure how much assistance would be considered needed / completed.

If the formula works, may be I helped analyse it.

If not you may let me know of the missing aspect so I can continue testing and correcting it

I noticed that for the additional cells in the column, they need to be modified as the reference numbers decrease and said cells no longer exist or are not needed for reference.
That's what I'm modifying now.

Ok you can let me know if there is anything I can assist with.

You may also provide a rating of at least a 3 if you found me helpful or close the request for a refund if you feel you have resolved the issue by yourself.

Think I got it on my own. Thanks!

Ok thanks. Please do not hesitate to contact JustAnswer in future for computer related issues and other fields as listed on the site.

George Sibiya
George Sibiya