Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Need help on golang. Go. I am trying to extract data from an…

Customer Question
Need help on golang ...

Need help on golang

Technician's Assistant: Is there a specific language you're coding in?

Go

Technician's Assistant: What's your objective? How can we solve this for you?

I am trying to extract data from an API, I am able to do it when I run curl, but when I try programattically it does not give any data

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Programming
1/3/2018
Programmer: RussellA, Computer Science Teacher replied 4 months ago
RussellA
RussellA, Computer Science Teacher

Can you post your CURL statement here please

If you can provide a little more details I can be specific with the answer, but generically speaking

Using telnet to check:

$ telnet erdos.sdslabs.co 80 Trying 62.141.37.215... Connected to erdos.sdslabs.co. Escape character is '^]'. GET http://erdos.sdslabs.co/users/shagun.json HTTP/1.0 HTTP/1.1 302 Found Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:18:58 GMT Server: Apache Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=juvg7vrg3vs4t00om3a95m4sc7; path=/ Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0 Pragma: no-cache Location: /login Access-Control-Allow-Origin: http://erdos.sdslabs.co X-Powered-By: PleskLin Content-Length: 1449 Connection: close Content-Type: application/json {"email":"*****@******.***","username":"shagun","name":"Shagun [...]

We see that the web server is responding with a 302 - a redirection to Location /login. Requests and web browsers are obeying that, and reaching the login prompt. However, we see that the web server is also responding with the json you're after, and curl (and telnet) are simple enough to just accept that data.

Best practice would be to fix the web server so that it either doesn't require you to log in, or doesn't give out password-protected data at the same time as asking users to log in.

If you can't change the web server, you could tell the requests module to ignore redirects:

import requests result = requests.get('http://erdos.sdslabs.co/users/shagun.json', allow_redirects=False) print result.content

I hope these steps help you in rectifying your issue. If you are satisfied please mark this as answered so I can get compensated for my time, or if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to open another query directly with me.

RussellA
RussellA
RussellA, Computer Science Teacher