Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I'm looking for a free lancer to help me complete the

Customer Question
I'm looking for a...

I'm looking for a free lancer to help me complete the automation of an interaction between FileMaker and Visio (2013). We've got FileMaker well covered, but have a few loose ends in Visio.

Technician's Assistant: Is your Visio file saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?

Not at the moment and that would not work for our operational system. But for development I could do that.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Programming
12/16/2017
Programmer: Steve, Consultant replied 2 months ago
Steve
Steve, Consultant

Hi there, my name is***** can help you with your automation task. Can you please upload the files that comes out of FileMaker and then what it should look like in Visio? Then we can chat about exactly what you want to accomplish. Click here to do a secure upload of the files to my dropbox. I'm the only person who will see them and I'll delete them when we're done. Thanks!

Steve, I appreciate your response. This is a one-year old project that is trying to move into operation and there are several problems that have eluded me. I'm sending you four documents.
1. a memo that gives background and lists the specific problems I'm trying to solve.
2. an Excel file that is an export of the FileMaker ODBC table. I'm assuming you don't really want the whole FileMaker database file with all of its baggage.
3. a Power Point file with five screen shots that should help you quickly get a concept of the system.
4. The Visio Template file.
***** *****
It isn't clear how this will move forward. I understand that online sessions need to be scheduled -- by both parties -- but it isn't clear to me how this will proceed. Will you be contacting me by email? I can't reliably keep this web page up waiting for messages because my habit of closing unneeded windows is likely to go on autopilot.

Hi Bruce. Sorry for the delay. I'll take a look at the documents you sent and get back to you asap.

Steve

Hi Bruce. I've done a quick read through the documents but need to go back through them in more detail to make sure I understand and to scope out what I think needs to be done.

I know you're pretty far along with this, but have you ever taken a look at UIPath Studio? There's a community edition that's available for free to nonprofits. Here's a link to an introductory video. I just wanted to toss it out to you as something to think about.

I'll continue going through the documents and circle back with you. When would be a good time to get back in touch with each other?

I tried to edit my response above but couldn't. This is a better link to UIPath instead of the link I posted above to UIPath Studio.

Very interesting sounding product and not one I was aware of during my active career or during the search that resulted in the selection of FileMaker for TRP. It reminds me of a very interesting product that we used in the early days of AI to dynamically model physical processes as well as business processes. Unfortunately, it ran on LISP machines and was never converted to standard computers.
At this stage of the TRP project, one of the key considerations is my age (79). I cannot put another learning curve for me onto the project's critical path or it is likely to never finish. Also, we are already regular users of Visio so our surveyors are handy with diagramming the auxiliary information that needs to be added ad hoc. All of our Visio licenses are in place and we have purchased the FileMaker licenses and have Amazon Web Credits to cover our annual operating costs for the server. So, for now, we just need to tie off a few loose ends and get this into parallel operation.
Thanks for the input.
Bruce
Steve, do you know yet whether this task is within your skill set? If not, I need to resume my search for a consultant. If it is, can you give me an estimate of when you will get to this task and how long you think it might take?Thanks,
Bruce
ATLPROG
ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer