Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a joomla website that is hosted on a dedicated server…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a joomla website that is hosted on a dedicated server but it is causing considerable server load. I need to find out what the problem is and how best to solve it

Technician's Assistant: What feature of Joomla can we help you with?

I need to determine what is making my joomla site cause heavy server load

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

No, please connect me, thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 day by:
12/16/2017
Programmer: Steve, Consultant replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, Consultant

Hi there, my name is***** down the problem is a process, not unlike a treasure hunt. Here's how you start the process. You'll need command line access to your server (get to a prompt).

Type top and press Enter. Then:

1. Look at the third line %Cpu(s) to see how much of the CPU is being used, how much is idle and how much is waiting for disk i/o. That will confirm your belief that you're having high CPU usage.
  2. Look at the next two lines to see if you're running out of memory and the server is having to use swap space in place of memory (very slow).
  3. Then look at the individual processes listed at the %CPU column. Find the processes that are consuming all the CPU and then investigate further. Until you know what process(es), I can't really help you with the next step.

If this answers your question, please accept the answer and rate me 5. I don't get paid anything for helping you unless you accept the answer. If not, please chat me back and I'll get you the answer you need. Thanks!