Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I can't open an existing excel spread sheet from the file…

I can't open an...

I can't open an existing excel spread sheet from the file itself. I have to open excel first then select the file to see the data. I'm unable to do a mail merge to word by selecting the data file. I have excel 2013 and it is a file in an older version.

Technician's Assistant: What programs and versions are you using?

Excel and Word 2013 the os is Windows 7

Technician's Assistant: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?

I want to be able to click on the file and see my data. I don't want to have to open excel first before I can see the data. When I open the file the data sheet is blank.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

11/19/2017
Robert
Robert, Consultant

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

try opening the file and saving it in a different location with a different name in the new excel format

what happens when you try to use it for a mail merge in word ?

Robert
Robert, Consultant
I already tried saving it an opening it in a different location with a new name and it still didn't work. I saved it as an excel workbook.
I'm able to add data to the workbook as long as I open excel first and then open the file. But I can't just click on the file to open the workbook so when I try to do a mail merge in word there isn't any data to pull from because I have to open the saved file.
Is there anything under the options that should be changed to allow the file to open?

no but there might be aomething in the windows for the default program to open the excel file

my phone number is ***** the secure section

give me 2 minutes and i will put up a link for the remote section and i will look at it with you

link for remote

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=fb7d3d6b-8be3-408a-9d26-4251e0f8e957

Robert
Robert
Robert, Consultant