Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Ammmaaaazing. Excel for mac 2011, version 14.2.0. I need a

Ammmaaaazing. JA: What programs and versions...
Ammmaaaazing.
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: excel for mac 2011, version 14.2.0
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: I need a formula written
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
11/15/2017
Jason Jones, Programmer

I look forward to helping you today.

May I ask for you to describe what the formula needs to do?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hey Jason, can you guys screenshare?

Yes, I most definitely can.

Thank you. I will get that ready for you. After you click the "Securely Connect" button for the remote service, the remote link will be posted here. That will be the last charge for today.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
To be sure, I need to know that you can write an excel formula that handles something like this; if cellA is between x and y range, then "1" but if cellA is between y+1 and z, then 2, extrapolate..

Yes, if you can imagine it, I can create the formula.

- Jason

Jason Jones, Programmer
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Does this screenshare support audio?

It does not support audio, but we will be able to chat via a chat window.

Thank you. Let's begin the remote help session now.

Follow the instructions below to begin the remote helping screen.

Remote page: http://remote.jasonfixedit.com

After clicking the link above, enter the following two digit number: 19
- And then click the circle button to start the remote application.
(After the file finishes downloading, please open the file and run it.)

Please, do the following:
- Click the Apple icon on the top left of your screen.
- Click System Preferences
- Click Security
- Click the "General" tab
- Click the "Open Anyways" button and run the program.

Once that is done, the remote application will open.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hey, that's not a supported / verified app.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can I send you a gotomeeting link?

Please, do the following:
- Click System Preferences
- Click Security
- Click the "General" tab

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Let's use this instead. 1. Go to JoinGoToMeeting.com
2. Enter this meeting ID: 408-328-437

Okay, thank you.

I am told that I am waiting on you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm on. Do you have audio?

Audio is not possible.

You told me, "Nevermind dude" and disconnected.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, '***** *****'
Pete, Computer Engineer

Can you please attach a sample spreadsheet so I may have a look?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no problem
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
well, I say that. 'add files' isn't working. Can I send you a gotomeeting link?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Here's a summary of the formula I'm wanting;Write a formula for me that goes something like 'if cellA is in this range (between cellX and cellX*2), then 1. if cellA is in this range (between cellX*2 and cellX*3), then 2.Its a formula to increase '# of employees needed' based on sales volume (cellA) and hours worked capacity per 1 employee (cellX).

Did you get an error when you tried to add the file?

What size is the file?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no error, j/s is just jacked. ...small
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
its probably my ad blocker
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
If I send you a gotomeeting, can you enable audio so I can walk through this with you?

I am working on a solution now, I will upload it for you shortly.

Ok, I have attached a sample solution, let me know if I am heading in the right direction?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, checking. Couple minutes..
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay, I modified your formula to the below. However, when C5 is < $L$46, I need it to = 1. How to modify?=IF(C5<$L$46,2,IF(C5<$L$46*2,2,IF(C5<$L$46*3,3,IF(C5<$L$46*4,4,IF(C5<$L$46*5,5,6)))))

=IF(C5<$L$46,1,IF(C5<$L$46*2,2,IF(C5<$L$46*3,3,IF(C5<$L$46*4,4,IF(C5<$L$46*5,5,6)))))

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** minute.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Cool. Is there a way to make it scale without hitting the limit of nested 'if' statements?

Yes there are a few ways around it.

You could use VLOOKUP if you are familiar with that.

Or you could use CONCATENATE:

=CONCATENATE(IF(A1="A",1,""),IF(A1="B",2,""),IF(A1="C",3,""), IF(A1="D",4,""),IF(A1="E",5,""),IF(A1="F",6,""),IF(A1="G",7,""), IF(A1="H",8,""),IF(A1="I",9,""),IF(A1="J",10,""))

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Not familiar w/ vlookup. Could you modify that concatenate formula to mine cell names?

=IF(C5<$L$46,1)&IF(C5<$L$46*2,2)&IF(C5<$L$46*3,3)&IF(C5<$L$46*4,4)&IF(C5<$L$46*5,5)&IF(C5<$L$46*6,6)&IF(C5<$L$46*7,7)&IF(C5<$L$46*8,8)&IF(C5<$L$46*9,9)&IF(C5<$L$46*10,10,11))

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Cool. I couldn't get that to resolve, but I don't need to go super high anyway. Thanks a ton for your knowledge and help.

You are welcome :)

You can request me for your Excel questions in future.

Pete.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Will do.

Are you happy for your payment for this question to be transferred to me?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Yep. Where can I hit you up in the future?

You can save me as a Favorite, or you can put "FORCustomerquot; at the start of your question.

Jason Jones, Programmer