Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Changed formatting resets every time excel is opened. Excel

Customer Question
changed formatting resets every time...
changed formatting resets every time excel is opened
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?
Customer: excel 2016 and it happens on different computers when we open the spreadsheet
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes on automatic updates
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: thanks that is all
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Programming
10/17/2017
Programmer: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

This is one of two issued, either the default template isnt being set properly, or it cant be set properly because excel doest have write permissions on its own data files.

I can guide you on how to fix this, I just need to know what type of computers you are using excel 2016 on and having this issue.

Windows 7, Windows 8 , Windows 10 , or macs?

Thank you for your reply,
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

windows 10 Pro version 1703 64 bit
we have this problem on other machines so prefer you tell me so I can go around the office
this happens in excel 2016 and excel 360

Basically, you just need to edit a workbook and save it as a template and then change some settings in excel so that it automatically opens to the workbook you edited.

Theres several methods of doing this discussed on the page below.

https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/2403-excel-change-default-template.html

Now, if you follow these steps correctly and it still wont work. Then take the folder that the default templateis stored in, right click that folder and go to properties, and make sure it isnt set to read only, and that the windows user profile as read and write access in the security section.

If you get stuck or run into any issues let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Changing the template did not appear to have any effectthe spreadsheet is multiple sheets developed over a couple of years.
starting again on a new with the multiple links is not an attractive option
after further digging around the problem is clarified as follows:if you double clip directly on the file in explorer the recent formatting reverts within a couple of seconds on openingif you open the excel program and then open the file within excel using excel to open the problem is not there and the formatting does not revertTalking to one of my outside AutoCAD experts there was a similar problem with AutoCad a couple of versions ago
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
again this problem is replicated on different machines including
HP
Dell
Dell Alien
No name Box
Programmer: R LAFAYETTE, Consultant replied 1 month ago
R LAFAYETTE
R LAFAYETTE, Consultant

Hello I realize it has been a few day since your last interaction on the site. I am hopeful I can assist you and the other users. I need to know if we are working with one workstation or if you are seeking a solution that will work for all of the workstations. If all of the workstations are involved I'll need to briefly clarify what Office version they have and the installed active Excel plugins. We will want to review the Trust Center as well. Please let me know and I'll be happy to assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this problem occurs within internal and external computers
window 10 version 1703
Perpetual Office 2016 and also Office 360 Subscription
on laptops and boxes from
HP
Dell
no name boxes
the only add-ins on this Dell are
Acrobat PDF maker
Dropbox for office
Solver Add-in
Trust centre has no added catalogs

Hello thank you for responding. I am just trying to clarify one question from earlier, are you seeking a solution that will work for all of the workstations? As precaution this will likely require a review of your event view and or remote control of the system. I read over the article that the previous expert pointed you to.

I don't think this has been asked but are you by chance a business that is using Active Directory? The reason I ask is that Group Policy can force the default template for all users of the organization thus making the previous suggest solution useless. I say useless intentionally only because Group Policy trumps any workstation policy or settings or templates for that matter.

As this is only one singular spreadsheet I could open it on my side to attempt to re-create the error.

R LAFAYETTE
R LAFAYETTE
R LAFAYETTE, Consultant