Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I need to learn Pascal. I have no programming experience,

but I have become involved...
I need to learn Pascal. I have no programming experience, but I have become involved in a business where the primary program is written in Pascal. There seems to be no compelling reason to re-write the program in a modern language. I need to learn Pascal well enough to fix bugs and make program changes as needed.
I need some advice on how to begin. Should I study BASIC or some other language first to get my feet wet in programming? Or should I just jump right into Pascal?
How would I go about learning Pascal? Books, online courses? Tutoring?
How long do you think I would need to spend to achieve some level of proficiency in Pascal? I think I have at least average aptitude for this sort of thing.
In case I’m not asking the right questions, do you have any other advice for me?
Thank you.
10/15/2017
Russell H., Programmer & Coder

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That depends upon whether it is written in Turbo Pascal - the older kind - or the newer/updated Object-Oriented Pascal, which would be harder to learn, and distinctly different.

If it is Turbo Pascal, there are free PDFs from Borland on the subject I think. You would need to know and understand the programming concepts of 'structured' (as opposed to GOTOs all over the place, or 'spaghetti code'), and also the concept of 'procedural' code.

If it is not Turbo Pascal but the newer, object-oriented sort, you might have a long slog ahead of you, unless you already know some other o-o language such as Java. (I found Java difficult to learn by myself, but I did learn it for sure - it's just that it took several months of intense effort.)

If you know NO programming language, try BASIC first, by all means. Esp. the FOR and DO loop structures and commands, which are basic to 'structured' code.

Let me know what else you need to know, any references you may need to be pointed to, and I will advise you further.

Here's a tutorial online to get you started:

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/pascal/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know the programmer uses Borland Delphi to program. Does that suggest that the program is written in Turbo Pascal?

That means, no, it wasn't in the earlier, easier Turbo Pascal. Delphi is for those who program in Object-Oriented Pascal. It's the modern kind, and object-oriented programming concepts are what you will need to learn first (if you don't know them already.)

Would you like a tutorial in general o-o programming concepts? and/or one about the object-oriented aspect of Borland Pascal/Delphi ?

Here is another tutorial website: www.pascal-programming.info/

It might perhaps be easier to learn Turbo Pascal a bit, just the basics so as not to fall into 'older code' habits of thinking... then to move on to Borland Pascal/Delphi.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I have my work cut out for me. Thank you for the answer and suggestions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm trying to rate you (5 stars) but the stars and submit buttons are greyed out. Maybe you have to respond again first.

Thanks! five stars is fine. Be sure to stop by and ask further follow-ups to my suggestions - there will be more to ask about.

Please rate my work and my answer(s). Five stars is fine! again. Thank you, ***** ***** a good evening.

Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Russell H., Programmer & Coder