Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Does kik also use bots on its platform? Meaning, I know that

[Second opinion] Does kik also...

[Second opinion] Does kik also use bots on its platform? Meaning, I know that kik allows people to make bots but does kik itself also use them? What for?

10/10/2017
syseng
syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Yes the KIK platform uses bots as well and they are primarily for marketing purposes. The trade off is that instead of seeing more advertisements, the marketing that takes place on KIK and one way they make their money is to employ the use of bots that essentially drive business to KIK customers.

If you need further assistance just let me know.

Thanks,

David.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. My meaning is that if someone contacting me claiming to be from kik, is it probably a boy or a fake person? I since deleted the app and don't know if they've reached out

The bots operate within the platform whereas the communication you describe is outside the platform and after you uninstalled the app. So in that case it is most likely a real person, especially if you also deleted your account.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was contacted on kik by someone claiming to be the report manager. I don't know if it was from kik or not and deleted the app afterwards. I received the contact before the uninstallation

Ok, in that case it is possible that the "person" who contacted you was actually a bot because you received the communication through the KIK platform and odd that a "report manager" would contact you regarding a serious matter (I am assuming) only through the KIK platform.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do social media companies such as kik use scare tactics and threats sometimes to just "get people off" of their platform?

Sorry for the delay.

Not really because the more people they have using their platform the bigger the monetary benefit to them. If someone using their platform discourages others from using their platform then they simply shut down that person's account. They also state that in their terms of service. If they were to use scare tactics word would get around and they would lose business because people would start using a competitors platform rather than theirs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If that's the case, it doesn't seem like it really makes sense that I got a message from the kik "report manager", rather than just terminating me.

Yes exactly - most likely a prank and not from anyone that manages the KIK platform.

syseng
syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry to bother, can kik bots send the first message or do you have to message the bot?

They can initiate the first message - it really depends on the objective of the bot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know how long information is stored on kik after the termination of the account?

Good question. They don't actually specify. However, as with nearly every social media platform, most likely once it is on their servers it will stay around for quite awhile - reason being it creates extra work to delete information.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I were to create a new question, would you do the research through kik for me to find out. Apologies if this is offensive.

Sure - I can do that for you. Please post the question and request me. I will respond, do the research, and get back to you with my findings.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Done

Ok - so I am looking for the new question now.

I found the question, however the category is not one to which I have access. However I can ask the moderator to change the category.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please do. Thank you

I just sent the request to the category moderator. I expect to hear back from them soon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did send two questions.

Yes, thanks - I did see both however one failed to open due to what appears to be a site technical issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I provide a bonus would you answer it here?

Sure - I can do that as well. I will start work on it and if the other question category is changed I will post my findings on that question otherwise I will post my findings here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fair enough!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Look forward to your response

Ok thanks - I will be getting back to you with my findings.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When can I expect a response. Thank you

I had to step away from the computer however am working on it now. I will post my findings here this morning.

Thanks,

David.

Just letting you know that I am writing up my findings and will post for you shortly.

Please click the link below to download the KIK report:

click here

Please let me know when you download the report successfully and if you have further questions.

Thanks,

David.

syseng
syseng
syseng, Computer Systems Engineer