Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Is there a QBASIC version of the N-Queen on chessboard

Customer Question
Is there a QBASIC...

Is there a QBASIC version of the N-Queen on chessboard algorithm?

Technician's Assistant: What programs and versions are you using?

QB64

Technician's Assistant: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?

I'm amateur programmer

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

I am amateur and would like to look at the code to learn efficient programming technique

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Programming
10/1/2017
Programmer: Russell H., Programmer & Coder replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Programmer & Coder

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
There is no such QBasic version public'ly available - and yes, I did a thorough search.

There can be efficiency in programming of two sorts:

1. efficiency in amount of code to write, enter, and store.

or

2. efficiency in speed of solving the problem.

The first is easier to achieve than the second.

I can point you toward either solution, but there is no QBasic code for it available.

Efficient programming technique for this sort of highly repetitive problem usually starts with determining what basic steps can be repeated to produce the solution, then making 'loop' structures - FOR loops or WHILE loops (or in some languages, DO loops) that incorporate and include those steps.

For the simplest solution, the brute-force solution, you would propose one position, generated 'randomly' (but not with a random number function, but in a manner that will be going systematically through ALL possible 8-queen positions on the 8x8 chessboard)

then examine (or 'score') that position to see whether it produces a solution or not... if not, go to the next generated position to examine; if so, either exit all loops with that solution (if only looking for one possible solution at random) or store or print the solution data (i.e. the position generated) and go back to the 'next position' generator routine.

Does this answer your question? if not, let me know, and I will help you further.