Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a excel VBA question: How can you make this code more…

Customer Question
I have a excel VBA...
I have a excel VBA question: How can you make this code more efficient? I have it repeating twice but im sure you could combine the two IFs into one'puts the Open orders below the data
Dim LastRow, NewLast, MovedCount As IntegerLastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row 'Find last Row
NewLast = LastRow + 1 'NewLast tracks the new last row as rows are copied and pasted at the end
MovedCount = 0
For I = 2 To LastRow
If Left(Cells(I, 4), 1) = "O" Then 'Copy the row, increment NewLast and paste at the bottom.
Rows(I).Cut
'LastRow = LastRow - 1
Cells(NewLast + 5, 1).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Rows(I).Delete
I = I - 1 'Since we deleted the row, we must decrement i
MovedCount = MovedCount + 1 'Keeps track of number of rows moved so as not to overshoot the original last line
End If
If I + MovedCount = LastRow Then Exit For 'Exit For loop if we reached the original last line of the file
Next I
'puts the Open orders below the data
Dim LastRow2, NewLast2, MovedCount2 As IntegerLastRow2 = ActiveSheet.Cells(ActiveSheet.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row 'Find last Row
NewLast2 = LastRow2 + 1 'NewLast tracks the new last row as rows are copied and pasted at the end
MovedCount2 = 0
For N = 2 To LastRow
If Left(Cells(N, 1), 8) = "40-00004" Then 'Copy the row, increment NewLast and paste at the bottom.
Rows(N).Cut
'LastRow = LastRow - 1
Cells(NewLast2, 1).Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Rows(N).Delete
N = N - 1 'Since we deleted the row, we must decrement i
MovedCount2 = MovedCount2 + 1 'Keeps track of number of rows moved so as not to overshoot the original last line
End If
If N + MovedCount2 = LastRow2 Then Exit For 'Exit For loop if we reached the original last line of the file
Next N
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Programming
9/29/2017
Programmer: The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer replied 8 months ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

what exactly is it you are trying to do?

I have sales data that needs to not include Open orders (anything starting with O in column) AND also any remaining orders that start with 40-00004 in the first column. The code that i have already works, im just trying to find ways to make the macro run quicker. So wondering how we can combine these two IF statements into one. See picture for context.

most efficient way is to use arrays. If you do all your reads first into an array then do all of the writes afterwords. Read / Write repeating always takes longer.

Arrays don't preserve formatting though, unless source / destination has same formatting to begin with

The only other possibility would be to filter the data, then copy/delete filtered data

Yeah the data is already formatted. I would be interested in seeing what you do with an array, im not very familiar with so it would be interesting to learn

what is your budget, I cannot possibly do it for the amount you requested.

sent additional service offer in case your are interested.

absolutely not. You are overcharging for sure. You once quoted me 75$ for a much bigger project than the one i just asked help for

good luck then

Yeah i'll take my question to stack overflow for $0