Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I have Excel 2017 on my computer. I just learned that this

I have Excel 2017 on...
I have Excel 2017 on my computer. I just learned that this "newer" MS excel version will not read/update a .xls file ( from pre-2003 excel). So, I want to convert a .xls file to .sxls file , everything, including the macros in it. What software or method works? , I researched a bit , but still bewildered.Will one of the methods in here URL work?:
https://superuser.com/questions/524119/batch-convert-xls-to-xlsx.Or please suggest one, or more, methods/software that will work.
Thanks!
9/28/2017
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising our service.

If your machine still has 2016 or earlier, you can open the file with it and then save the file as "Macro enabled excel" file. In this way it will be saved with a .xlm extension

A .xlsx file does not embed macros for security reasons so, even if you do manage to convert, it will be without the macros

the file with .xlm extension will have the macros embeded and when you open it, excel will prompt you to enable them

If you do not have an earlier office version in your vicinity your can advice if you need to share the files so I can perform the procedure for you

Regards,

G

George Sibiya
George Sibiya
George Sibiya