Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I am working with Word 2010 for Windows. I am trying to

Customer Question
I am working with...

I am working with Word 2010 for Windows.

Technician's Assistant: What programs and versions are you using?

I am trying to write a VB script that will take the contents of the clipboard (text) and search the document to see if that string is found any place else.

Technician's Assistant: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?

I can't seem to figure out how to access the clipboard in VB for Word! I want a simple macro that does the following:

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?

Select the previous word, and then check the document to see if the word appears in it previously That should be so easy, but VB for Word simply doesn't want to let me access clipboard! And every search link I find tells me to do something that when I past it into the macro gives me a runtime error!

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Programming
9/25/2017
Programmer: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 10 months ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

The page below outlines several different search strings that can get you to where you want to be

https://word.tips.net/T001833_Generating_a_Count_of_Word_Occurrences.html

Now this page discusses the word problem, Word VBA doesnt exactly have a clipboard, but there are some workarounds. This page should help

https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/MacrosVBA/ManipulateClipboard.htm

If you have any further questions or concerns let me know.

Please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating to show I was able to assist you, without a 5 star rating submitted I am unpaid and unaccredited for my time and expertise.

Thank you,
Dustin S. Sr. Technician and Former Network Switching Systems Operator . Maintainer 31F1P

In what time frame?
Do you understand what I am trying to do?
I have a Word document with some text codes which I type in, and I want to avoid making duplicate entries.
So I want to make a macro that when I type in something like JMa8, it searches the document and finds the prior occurrence of that text, otherwise just stays where I am and lets me continue with the entry.

It doesnt appear that you read my last reply. Can you read over it, and then get back to me.

D.S

The first link doesn't work for me, because I can't tell the macro what the string is that I'm looking for!
I just typed JMa8614, and I don't want to have to type open the search box and type in JMa8614 again to see if it's in the document once or twice!
And the other link you gave me: https://wordmvp.com/FAQs/MacrosVBA/ManipulateClipboard.htm
Doesn't work either! I already found that by googling, and when I copied and pasted that code into the VBA editor, and then ran the macro, I got a runtime error that says "Dim MyData As DataObject" is a bad line because "DataObject is not a supported type."
So what do I do now? I still can't make this work!
DUSTIN, ARE YOU THERE?!
I am happy to give you a 5-star rating if you help me solve my problem, but you haven't done that yet.
I need to be able to select some text string, then check the rest of my document to see if it's already been typed in, and I need to be able to do that without re-typing the damn string! I know I can open a Find/Replace dialog box and see if it's there! I don't need to pay to know that! But I want to make a macro that will do this, and I can't get the string I just selected into the "Find what" line of the search dialog box!

Let me opt so that another expert whos on the clock can assist you.

You will be notified by email when they respond.

I'm giving you a few more minutes, then I'm clicking on "Not happy with your answer? Request another expert."
Programmer: AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist replied 10 months ago
AnswersByEric
AnswersByEric, Computer Support Specialist

Good evening. I am sorry you do not have an answer yet. I have a question for you. When you select the word/words that you want to see if it is already in the document, why are you not just pressing Ctrl+F and finding all the places it exists in the document? The VB script you're describing is essentially "Find", which is built into all Word versions...