Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I am compiling a database and I'm having trouble figuring…

Customer Question
I am compiling a...

I am compiling a database and I'm having trouble figuring out what formula(s) i can use to reference two columns with month and year, and have it find a column with those time frames and return a value

Technician's Assistant: What programs and versions are you using?

excel 2010

Technician's Assistant: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?

For one of the columns I need to sum a series of seperate columns that reference the same time frame.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Programming
9/20/2017
Programmer: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Just started building the database, its a new problem.

Using what? SQL or Access?

I attached a snipet of the database I'm working on. I need a formula to sum the syndicated data under the red bar into the totals based on timeframe under the black bar

I am going to opt our for another expert to have a look, you will be emailed once they respond.

Programmer: The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer replied 8 months ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer

give me a while to take a look

so can you explain what you want to sum, using rows and column values or address ranges

For example...
YTD Dollars needs to sum Feb 2017 to Aug 2017 Dollars columns per row. Each row below the headers is indicative of an individual item.The dates will change every month to include the new month.

what column letter is ytd dollars under

the column letters are across the top of the sheet,

and what columns are Feb 2017 - aug 2017 under

The returned sum will need to be in column AJ, the data is found in columns DM through ER, but the columns will change every month as data is added so the columns aren't static.

so you would want the result to go under all the rows in column AJ row 13.

I mean what is indicating that the summed column is FEB - Aug 2017, or DM - ER, or is it DM - DS that get included in the sum.

See here in is where the issue is is what indicates the data we need to sum.

And is it just 1 formula you are looking for.

I would like the formula to reference the months listed in J4 through AZ5 as those will update based on the current date. But I'm not sure how to set up a reference for a span of time and multiple criteria.

your ranges keep changing which is confusing me,

I think you mean the dates in row 5 for however many columns there are, staring in column AB?

Those dates indicate what you want to sum correct>

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer