Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder
13568747

What does this equation mean: =SUM(I3:I58)/F59:F60(I3:I58) I

Customer Question

What does this equation mean: =SUM(I3:I58)/F59:F60(I3:I58) I know it's a division equation.
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: Where can I find the version? I am on the "Info" page in Excel.
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: Sorry my co-worker asked me a question. Okay. Can you Bomgard into my system?
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Okay, I was rated on a Quality Control sheet and equation for the F column is =SUM(I3:I58)/F59:F60(I3:I58). Data in the F Column has changed. Please explain to me this division equation and can I recalculate it on my Excel Sheet. The Excel doc. is not password ***** because I have made comments in column H. The Doc is Columns A through H. The Data is listed from Line 3 to 58. Help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That means, the sum of adding together all cells between I3 and I58 inclusive, divided by

the cells F59 and F60... but, it looks odd to me too. Does it actually work?

It's Excel of course.

I can remote control into your system, yes. If you like, for a small additional fee.

Or if that's not what you want me to do, you can post me the 'sheet and I'll examine it in a copy that way.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I post you the sheet?
Control V and Control C?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Too expensive. This is for work.

Try using the paper-clip to Attach the sheet to your Reply, in your JustAnswer Reply editor.

There are other means, too.

How soon do you need an opinion, what is the priority, also?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought the equation was odd, too. The Team Lead that created this is new and I ended up with a 62 % rate. A D minus .

I see! a good reason to get an Expert opinion on it!

I'm good with statistics. Show me the sheet, and I'll figure quickly enough whether this is bogus or genuine "statisticianity."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct: #REF!
Date Control_Num Cert Resub Ret status Contained Internally Note
7-Aug 41399 X X Yes Yes Return email and tracker mention only Blk4, however Address is still incorrect. Customer needs to be notified about address issue. E-mail Sent on 8/7/17 on Addess Error; Resub on 8/29/17 by customer;Certified on 8/29/17
7-Aug 41616 X Y - All good
7-Aug 41619 X N No Return email makes no mention of needing supporting documentation. Customer needs to be notified about lack of documentation 8/10/2017Sent second e-mail requesting Supporting Documents
7-Aug 41611 X Y - All good
7-Aug 41589 X N Yes Unable to find electronic folder or forms anywhere. Whole record will need to be rebuilt form hard copy in back. Unable to view return email to verifiy if duty was properly performed Note: Electronic file did not have "Name-CAGE-JCP Number: just Name, - Corrected. Comment History: 8/7/2017SEP:Supporting Form is blank;W-9 not accepted; illegible; Rel. Bus. Activity 8/7/2017SEP:E-mail Unclear; phoned 8/25/2017SEP:Resent e-mail 8/28/2017SEP:GTG
8-Aug 41369 X Y - All good
8-Aug 41203 X Yes Yes No return note dated for 8/8/2017. This did not directly impact the customer
8-Aug 41658 X Y - All good
8-Aug 41647 X Y - All good
8-Aug 41577 X Y - All good
8-Aug 41399 X N N Address on form wrong while certified, No cert number on form, Cert address does not match form, 0 instead of O for company name in email.
8-Aug 41521 X N Yes Everything was process correctly besides their being 2 folders containing copies of emails and DD2345s in Approved 2017. One folder was titled correctly and another contained -REV
8-Aug 41139 X Y - All good
8-Aug 38819 X N Yes JCP site shows "INC" at the end of company name with no space CAGE and DD2345 do not have INC. WRONG - The original DD 2345 dated 2/20/17 has, "Flowserve, Us, Inc."
8-Aug 41657 X N N block 4 very vague "Buswork Integrated Cold Plates, (BICS)" Expiration date is 8/15/2017 instead of 8/15/2022
9-Aug 41259 X Y - All good
9-Aug 41522 X Y - All good
9-Aug 41150 X Y - All good
9-Aug 41577 X X Y - All good
9-Aug 41696 X Y - All good
10-Aug 41550 X X N N Expiration date on DD2345 shows 7/15/2022 insead of 8/15/2022 as is should
10-Aug 41233 X Yes Yes Name of data custodian in JCP app is inverse of what is on DD2345. Discussion Point; My Customer Service philosophy: Address customer as Mr. First Name, Last Name. Simple Respect
10-Aug 41724 X Y - All good
10-Aug 41700 X Y - All good
10-Aug 41657 X N Yes Return email sent to customer did not have previously submitted form, return email gave incorrect tracking # in the body of the email. SEP Notes: E-mail resent
10-Aug 41619 X Y - All good
11-Aug 41454 X X Y - All good
11-Aug 41463 X Y - All good
12-Aug 41464 X Y - All good
11-Aug 41740 X Y - All good
11-Aug 41243 X X N Y last note in tracker states resub, but it was returned after
11-Aug 41737 X Y - All good
11-Aug 41741 X N Y Only 1 email in folder (tracker states it was emailed back x2) Should only mark tracker the first time, second return should not have been tallied.
14-Aug 41203 X N N I would not have approved block 4, states a lot about contracts and POCs but not a lot about what their company does.
14-Aug 41704 X X Y - All good
14-Aug 41627 X Y - All good
14-Aug 41424 X X Y - All good
14-Aug 41768 X Y - All good
14-Aug 41782 X Y - All good
15-Aug 41731 X Y - All good
15-Aug 41209 X Yes N DD2345 says it was certified on 8/15/17 but it was not until 8/16/2017. Certified form is in bad shape (vertical lines) block 4 vague (basically just mteal and plastic mfg. Discussion Point - Resub the day the e-mail came in and then complete the JCP Cert.the next day.
15-Aug 41789 X Yes Yes Return email has no attachments (should have at least the submitted DD2345 & instructions) No initials on the return email.The Initials of SEP are in the CC line of every e-mail; Secret code - Thanks for keeping warfighers safe"
15-Aug 41788 X X Y - All good
16-Aug 41810 X Y - All good
16-Aug 41789 X Y - All good
16-Aug 41788 X Y - All good
16-Aug 41399 X Yes Yes have address edited by SEP (this is a correction to a previous failed QC form 8-8 and should not have had dates edited)
16-Aug 41803 X Yes Y No initials at the end of the email was returned for address and block 4, address was completely correct. The Initials of SEP are in the CC line of every e-mail; Secret code - Thanks for keeping warfighers safe"
16-Aug 41809 X Y Y All good
16-Aug 41822 X Yes Y Discussion Point - JCP SOP requires review of both CAGE website and JCP Public Website: Within Research process CAGE is confirmed; My Point - save time form next JCP Team Members who reveiws.
17-Aug 41737 X X Yes Y Discussion Point - Resub Date the day before JCP Cert.Completion Date (New Issue: Customer returns DD 2345 the same day.)
17-Aug 41399 X X Yes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am working on getting a copy to you. What is your e-mail address? I have the document ready to go in an e-mail.

I'm sorry - I see a wodge of text, not a spreadsheet. Try using filedropper.com to post the sheet, then tell me the URL of the posting... it's quick and free-of-charge.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you receive an e-mail?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello?

You can send the sheet attached to an email, to

***@******.***

and reference this case, and they will pass it to me... but it takes a while! if you're in a hurry, this can take hours for me to receive it that way.

I'm forbidden to make direct email contact... by and large. To sum up a bit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Russell,Please recalculate the F row. When Matt showed this to me I had a 62% rate in the F row at the top.Please note: Number 41399 was listed 4 times and is highlighted in yellow. How can you get one review wrong 4 different times? These entries unfairly skewed the final percentage.I thought the equation was odd, too. The Team Lead that created this is new and I ended up with a 62 % rate. A D minus .Regards,
Sandy

Will do - I've been sent the sheet and will be looking at it. Thanks.

I'm feeling strong regret for anyone involved with this "bad formula": in the copy I got, it isn't even a working formula, it complains "#NAME?", as shown in the cell (error referent to the 'unknown function F60()' - ! - ) and the formula itself is obvious nonsense, since it references values in I3:I58, which cells have nothing in them; it also appears to reference values in F59 and F60, both of which cells are also empty.

Of course that formula is nonsense... but how does anyone get 62 % from it?

The number of 'Y' values in the 'F' column, as a percentage all the way from F4 to F58, comes out to, in my humble estimation, as 11 'N' status, and since row 36 is blacked out and thus not counted, there are a total of 58-3 = 55, and minus 1 more for row 36, there are of either "Y" or "YES" values in column F, some 54 - 11 = 43. And 43 divided by 54, is about 79. % - specifically 79.62 percent, which is to say, above 7/10ths are Y or YES in column F.

----------------

Does this answer your question? And, do you need a formula to put in cell F1 that will actually work to give that sort of 79 percent total ?

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond and I will help you further.)