Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

OKPR84211 I need to know the best ways to identify inbound

OKPR84211 I need to know...

OKPR84211 I need to know the best ways to identify inbound links to my entire website and ensure those links are hitting pages with actual text and not error pages. So, basically, I need a site/app that can tell me what sites are linking to my site (pages from inbound site preferred), and the page they are linking to, specifically. And, if those pages they are linking to are broken or generating errors. If recommending a program like Google Analytics, please be specific about the steps to access the information. Thanks.

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Ronel Greaves
Ronel Greaves, Software and Systems Architect

Yes, you want to use google analytics. I'll build up an instruction sheet for you and post it here for you. Stand by.

First -- you would include the following snippet in any page you would like to track:

First you would include the following on any page that you would

<!-- Google Analytics --> <script> (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-XXXXX-Y', 'auto'); ga('send', 'pageview'); </script> <!-- End Google Analytics -->

Next -- note the following:

<div class="devsite-article-body clearfix
" itemprop="articleBody" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(33, 33, 33); font-family: Roboto, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">The code should be added near the top of the <head> tag and before any other script or CSS tags, and the string 'UA-XXXXX-Y' should be replaced with the property ID (also called the "tracking ID") of the Google Analytics property you wish to track.Tip: If you do not know your property ID, you can use the Account Explorer to find it. <!-- Google Analytics --><script>(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');ga('create', 'UA-XXXXX-Y', 'auto');ga('send', 'pageview');</script><!-- End Google Analytics -->The above code does four main things:Creates a <script> element that starts asynchronously downloading the analytics.js JavaScript library from https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.jsInitializes a global ga function (called the ga() command queue) that allows you to schedule commands to be run once the analytics.js library is loaded and ready to go.Adds a command to the ga() command queue to create a new tracker object for the property specified via the 'UA-XXXXX-Y' parameter.Adds another command to the ga() command queue to send a pageview to Google Analytics for the current page.

This is not displaying well. I will set it up in MS Word and post again.

Here you go.

If you do not have a google analytics account. Please let me know and we will walk through setting one up and navigating the Google Analytics (GA) Dashboard together.

Cheers

Ronel Greaves
I've been using Google Analytics for years but I am not sure it has the data I'm looking for. I was looking for something other than Google analytics that I could use for comparison because I do not feel the data I'm getting is accurate.But, I'll rate your response anyway.
Ronel Greaves
Ronel Greaves