The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer
Experience:  Extensive Knowledge in PHP, MYSQL, CSS & Javascript
62934938

I'm working on a data project that involves collecting dates

Customer Question

I'm working on a data project that involves collecting dates and addresses of participants at various age time points. Going through the files, I am often missing dates for certain time points, which I need to eventually geocode the addresses. I was hoping to come up with a MACRO that would go through and add the specific number of months to the birthdate in order to generate an approximate time point. So I need something that, whenever the "date" column is blank, would take the date from the date next to "birth," and add the number of months written next to the blank slot to the birthdate to generate that date.
Any guidance would be appreciated! (I'd do this manually, but it would be quite the tedious task with 7,000+ participants). Let me know if anything needs clarification.
Thank you!
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: Excel Version 15.19.1
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: Hello, I'm working on a data project that involves collecting dates and addresses of participants at various age time points. Going through the files, I am often missing dates for certain time points, which I need to eventually geocode the addresses. I was hoping to come up with a MACRO that would go through and add the specific number of months to the birthdate in order to generate an approximate time point. So I need something that, whenever the "date" column is blank, would take the date from the date next to "birth," and add the number of months written next to the blank slot to the birthdate to generate that date. Any guidance would be appreciated! (I'd do this manually, but it would be quite the tedious task with 7,000+ participants). Let me know if anything needs clarification. Thank you!
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Programming
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

if you could send a example file, it would be very helpful to see a visual of what should be done to determine if it is possible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is a small example of what I need done. Where the missing dates are, I'd like to add the number of months to the birthdate in order to generate the date at which they would have been that old.

so for column A everywhere we see a blank we want to fill in a date, based on the date in column A where it has the word "birth" in column B? So we would get a new date by adding the value.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Exactly. Wherever there's a blank in column A, I'd like to add the value (in months) from column B to the "birth" value from column b, for that particular participant. Every time the pattern resets (pregnancy 3 trimester-120 starts again), that's a new participant with a new birthdate. I could not send the participant IDs from the original file for confidentiality purposes, but it's clearer in the original document when there's a new participant. I've included an example of what that looks like.

it is possible and I could do it with either file.

There will be an additional fee to create such a macro, I am sending that offer now.

Once accepted I can get started. Also once you have the code, assumeing other files are in the same exact format you should be able to apply the same code to it. SO that is useful

no response? Should I assume you didn't see my message yet?

hello? I will assume you decided you didn't really want help with this after all