ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

Expired articles are not coming down when they expire. They

Customer Question

Expired articles are not coming down when they expire. They are not visible in my Admin, but others can still see them with the old links.
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: I upgraded your PHP Version installation with the hosting account to try and solve it but that didn't work. I found a few support threads where people said it was happening on sites that had been migrated from v2.5 to Joomla 3.x, which is the case for you. Aside from doing a clean Joomla installation and importing the articles, I'm not sure what to do about this bug. It could take many hours to diagnose and resolve, is that something you want me to dive into?Here's what we've done so far:
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: I can't tell why it doesn't work correctly. It could be due PHP 7 (change to 5.6 because some of your plugins may not support it) or due to some plugin, or something else. In the Administrator panel stated that the article is "Published, but has Expired", so it isn't problem with hosting, but with the code only.
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it mosly
Category: Programming
Expert:  George Sibiya replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you utilizing our services.

Do you perhaps have access to the web server log file so we can analyze it?

Regards,

G

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please just give me your feedback and any other ideas. Here's what we've done so far:Here's what we've done so far. I upgraded your PHP Version installation with the hosting account to try and solve it but that didn't work. I found a few support threads where people said it was happening on sites that had been migrated from v2.5 to Joomla 3.x, which is the case for you. Aside from doing a clean Joomla installation and importing the articles, I'm not sure what to do about this bug. It could take many hours to diagnose and resolve, is that something you want me to dive into?
and
It seemed like the PHP version was a likely culprit here as I've seen people mention that issue in the forums but it is not the case. I reverted to v5.6 and then even further back to v5.3 and it made no difference. I also disabled caching, gzip, minifcation, etc, and the result was the same every time. I'm stumped. I even updated Joomla to the release that came out last week and reinstalled your multi-category component. No dice. My next suggestion for troubleshooting would be to copy the site over to another host server and see if it makes a difference.

Ok. A log file saves time because it tells you what the exact errors are.

A challenge is if you are using a hosting service provider, some packages may not give an option to access those relevant logs hence my question above.

After moving it to a new server please pay attention to /var/log/apache2/error.log and /var/log/syslog if it is a Linux host using Apache Web server.

Also database logs can give useful information.