Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I'm looking for some basic sql query help, SQL server 2014,

Customer Question
I'm looking for some basic...
I'm looking for some basic sql query help
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: SQL server 2014
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: I'm trying to create a basic query that will sum up revenue in two ways
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm fairly new to SQL
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2016
Programmer: LogicPro, Computer Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
LogicPro
LogicPro, Computer Software Engineer

Hi

Please provide complete requirements

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I am trying to create basic SQL query to use to determine recognized revenue for a single period but also YTD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I initially started by using SUM in my select statement but because I ultimately would like to have 2 separate columns I thought it may be easier to use a cross apply or other method of summing and then rejoining back into the main table

Provide me table structure

And sample output

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It won't let me attach a file for some reason

If you have any files, zip and upload to www.wikisend.com and paste download link here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is the query
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ideally PSM.Revenue 'Current Revenue' would be the amount recognized in a single period i.e. 201601, 201602, 201603 etc

Provide me table structure also with data

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the second instance 'YTD Revenue' would be a running total of the amounts for every period up to the period I'm running it for

Provide me table name and column names.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm having issues with understanding the best way to sum the revenue cleanly for each project the period and YTD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for the period and YTD

When do you need it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ASAP :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it's going to take a while don't worry about it, I just figured I would give this a shot wasn't relying on it as my only option

For the data provided, output for project(###) ###-####should be 3000 for project revenue and 5000 for ytd?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right

please wait

My apologies, I am out of ideas and opting out for other Professionals to answer. Please wait. You will be notified by email as soon as any Professional joins you.

Thank you for your patience.

Programmer: Steve, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Consultant

Hi there, my name is***** need a "GROUP BY" to get a subtotal. Try adding this after the last FROM statement and before the last WHERE statement:

GROUP BY PSN.Period

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right but I need two sums
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One for the current period
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
one for ytd

OK, hold on one second

Do you have a separate Year field or is it just part of the PSN.Period?

You need to add another subquery to get the YTD, just a moment please.

, (SELECT SUM(PSN.Revenue) FROM PRSummaryMain PR2 WHERE PR2.Period <= PSN.Period AND PR2.WBS1 = PSM.WBS1 and PR2.WBS2 = PSM.WBS2 AND PR2.WBS3 = PSM.WBS3) AS YTD,

I think that will do it, do you understand the intent? I'm not certain of the related fields but if you understand the intent, you'll be able to change that if you need to.

Hey there, I was just checking back with you to see if this worked.

If this solved your issue, can you please accept my answer or I won't get paid anything for helping you. If not, please chat me back and I'll get you the right command for your query. Thanks!

Steve
Steve
Steve, Consultant