Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

This is my situation. I want to create a program that can be

Customer Question
Hello, My name is***** is my...
My name is***** is my situation. I want to create a program that can be put onto a disk that people can simply put into their computer and download for their businesses use. I have created a rough draft of what I am looking for in Excel that works pretty well. I have a homepage with 6 buttons that once pushed will take you to a different page to a form that you can fill out and file electronically. For example, if the supervisor wants to fill out an accident report he would just click the button that says accident report and he would be automatically taken to the accident report form. Once he filled out the report, he would be able to copy and share via email to other people or just save and file. Also at the bottom of each page there is a "home" button that if pressed takes that person back to the home screen. I am stuck and dont know how to make this program into a downloadable file or whatever
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
10/18/2016
Programmer: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

It sounds like when you say program you actually mean "macro"

Does your program require excel to run?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No i dont think so. I would like it to operate like any downloadable software you buy anywhere

Im not sure how far you are into compiling the program.. You said it runs in excel.

Can it run without excel? Is it still conceptual, or do you have the program itself actually written?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only have it made in Excel because I dont know where else or how else to do this. I dont really want to use this in excel but that the only place I knew i could build my idea.

Ok, So if you have a macro or set of macros built in excel, its possible to distribute them that way.

Of course the users would have to use excel to use your macros.

As far as distributing the program where its non excel dependent, before we discuss how to compile it into an exe or msi or installer package, youd have to have the program made first.

Im not trying to lead you in any direction but it sounds like you have a working package currently, and maybe discussing how to distribute the working product you already have would be a simpler solution then discussing how t o actually write a program that works outside of excel that you could compile for installation.

D.S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont want the users of this program to open this in Excel as it would not be very professional. So compiling it into a exe or msi or installer package is what I would like to do. How would I do that?

You havent given me enough information about the program in excel, or how you made it so that I could give any type of answer as to how to compile this into a standalone program.

How is this program written in excel.. VBA , Macros?

To compile this as a standalone program outside of excel, youd h ave to choose a programming language and write the program.. Unless you are using VBA or excel macros.. Then there are some possibilities that dont require full knowlegde of a programming language.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need you to tell me what programming language system to use as I am not the professional. If you need information please ask me and I will provide you with what you need to know in order to point me in the right direction.

You arent answering my questions. I havent seen the "program" you have written.

I keep asking you, are you using Macros, or Visual basic within excel.. If you cant explain to me how you built the program, i cant advise what programming language to use, or if you would even need one..

You need to detail to me how you have this program built in excel, macros, vba script, a combination of those, or is this just spreadsheet formulas.. Or all three or more?

You built this in excel. You are the only one who can answer the above questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not use any macros or anything. I did use hyperlinks but that's all. I literally just made these forms using basic functions on excel.

Excels current version and form are written in the programming Language C++

Since the programs and functions you mention run inside excel, using the same programming language would seem best. However, that means you would literally have to program the application from the ground up.. Starting from scratch.

Honestly, if excel is the foundation you are using and it sounds like your using just hyperlinks, it almost seems more efficient, easier and an easier adoption for your potential users if you distributed your work as a standalone workbook / template that can run inside excel.

When you say you want this as an installable program, maybe you are worried about your work being distributed without a paid "license" There are ways you can protect your current work if you were to distribute it. Such as, password ***** the workbook and other methods of version control.

but if you are intent on programming this from the ground up. C++ is what you want to use, since thats the language excel runs off of, and your "program" runs inside excel.

Seems like the path of least resistance.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where can I run this same C++ language other than Excel? Do I have to download something like Visual basic?

C++ Can run on nearly any machine, you just need a compiler.. And then you are literally programming from the ground up.. Honestly, this space and forum would be impossible for myself or anyone else to teach you how to code in C++. Your looking at 3-6 months of constant focus and studying before your going to get to where you can create a semi complex program.

However, heres a place to get you started http://www.cprogramming.com/begin.html

It may be best for you to pay a programmer to create the program to your specifications, maybe not best. But this would take less time. If you would like some recommendations of where you can hire a programmer, let me know.

Dustin S

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist