Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I need to write something in VB that will connect to a SQL

Customer Question
Hello, I need to write...
Hello, I need to write something in VB that will connect to a SQL server, run a query that could have more than one result, then run a predefined command for the result(s)
JA: What programs and versions are you using?
Customer: visual studio
JA: What is your ideal outcome? How can we solve this for you?
Customer: my ideal outcome is to provide the code I need so I can insert it into my solution
JA: Anything else you want the programmer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time, other than I am not an experienced developer
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2016
Programmer: LogicPro, Computer Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
LogicPro
LogicPro, Computer Software Engineer

Hi

welcome

please elaborate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already have a sqlconn but I have to rewrite for the purpose of performing a query, returning one or more results, then passing these results to a command that I want to run for each of the results
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
here is the sqlconn:
'SQLConn.ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & HostName & ";" & _
'"Initial Catalog=mvf;" & _
'"User ID=" & Session("db_name") & ";" & _
'"Password=" & Session("db_pass") & ";"
'SQLConn.Open()'For i As Integer = 0 To intLC - 1
'strCommand = "select convert (varchar, count (study_uid)) from mvf.dbo.dosr_study ms where study_uid = '" & arrResults(11, i) & "'"
strCommand = "Select series_uid from dosr_series where study_ref In (Select study_ref from dosr_study where study_uid = '" & arrResults(11, i) & "') and MODALITY !='SR'"
'Dim SQLCommand As New SqlClient.SqlCommand(strCommand, SQLConn)
'Dim reader As SqlDataReader = SQLCommand.ExecuteReader()
'While reader.Read()
'Response.Write(reader(0) & "<br />")
'If (Not reader(0) = 0) Then
'arrResults(12, i) = "1"
'End If
'Response.Write(i & " : " & arrResults(11, i) & " : " & arrResults(12, i) & "<br />")
'End While
'reader.Close()
'Next
'SQLConn.Close()
'End Sub
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to use the following query:
"Select series_uid from dosr_series where study_ref In (Select study_ref from dosr_study where study_uid = '" & arrResults(11, i) & "') and MODALITY !='SR'"

Zip your project and provide

Format is not easier to read

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
default.aspx.vb
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to rewrite the sqlconn to my needs, and use this in line 291
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the result of the query would be inserted here:
-k 0020,000E=<insert result here>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but there could be one or more results from the query, so it could have to be parsed 'x' number of times, 'x' being the result of the sql query

I will check and reply in few hours

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
right now the sqlconn is commented out because I do not want to use it for the purpose it was programmed and want to change it for my needs, I hope that makes sense

Will review

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks!

welcome

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi there, any progress?

I tried it a lot but lost.

My apologies, I am out of ideas and opting out for other Professionals to answer. Please wait. You will be notified by email as soon as any Professional joins you.

I would be happy to help you with your other questions though.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thx
Programmer: Steve, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Consultant

Hi there, my name is***** haven't tested this code, but give this a try:

Public Function SQLConnect() As String
Dim db As New SqlConnection
Dim reader As SqlDataReader
Dim results() As Variant
Dim count As Integer

Try
db.ConnectionString = "Data Source=" & Hostname & __
";Initial Catalog=mvf" &__
";Persist Security Info=True" &__
";User ID=" & Session("db_name") & __
";Password=" & Session("db_pass")
Dim query As New SqlCommand("Select series_uid from dosr_series where study_ref In (Select study_ref from dosr_study where study_uid = '" & arrResults(11, i) & "') and MODALITY !='SR", db)
db.Open()

reader = query.ExecuteReader()

count = 0
While reader.Read()
results(count) = reader("series_uid")
count = count + 1
End While

Catch ex As Exception
MessageBox.Show("Error while connecting to SQL Server." & ex.Message)
Finally
db.Close()
End Try

Return "done"
End Function

Steve
Steve
Steve, Consultant