Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Arty--You helped me out with programs to convert data stored

Customer Question
by old DOS programs so...
Arty--You helped me out with programs to convert data stored by old DOS programs so I could list said data in Excel. They are still working fine. This project began 11/4/14 as "How can I convert legacy text files..."
Now I have the desire to add some fields to the data stored for individual books in the title file and have posted a question on Just Answer inviting response. I apologize for not asking you to do this first but only now have figured out how to retrieve the question to remind me of it and your work. I have also asked Just Answer to forward this question to you. If they do not, perhaps you can find it on the Just Answer site, but if not I will be glad to rephrase it for you.
Thanks,
Bill Jones
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
7/30/2016
Programmer: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi Bill,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, PeteArty has not yet responded to my question and may not. If he does not do so, are you able to work on my question?
Thanks,
Bill Jones

Arty hasn't been online for a couple of years, however I'd be happy to assist you with this question.

Can you let me know how the data is stored, and where Excel comes into the equation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for that information on Arty and I am glad you will work on my question. Following is a thorough description of what I want, which isn't as involved as it takes to explain it.I will upload the files below when you ask for them.30 kb vistatil.bas (this application displays a title page of two records with fields that describe a given book)
257 kb title.hdg (headings of the above fields)
7.2 mb title.dat (data that is displayed in the above fields)I have a program by which I can extract data from the above records for use in Excel (which
Arty created for me) so want to ensure that program can still do so after modifying fields on the records for the title page. Perhaps that program will need to be tweaked to be able to display the new fields.When you run the above files you will note in vistatil.bas there is a page of two 256 byte records that displays fields to insert data on a given book title. Fields on the first record are Title, Author, Description. At the start of the second record is a field that continues description of the book. The last part of this record carries fields whose data is accessed for reports by various other programs and thus these fields must remain in their present locations. The first part of the second record is therefore where space is available to place new field headings.When browsing this page of two records the cursor, after moving through the fields on the first record, now lands at the start of the second record. If the programming is substantially simpler, new headings could begin at the start of the second record and follow in sequence as the cursor scrolls from one field to the next until it begins scrolling though the existing fields. But if not a lot simpler to have the new fields start at the beginning of the second record, then I'd like to preserve what I can of the space at the beginning of the second record for the continuation of the book description and have the new fields be inserted in front of the existing ones that are toward the end of the second record.New fields would include the headings
YR: (needs 2 spaces to insert year data),
OP: (needs 4 digits to insert month and year),
COND: (needs 1 space to insert single letter to describe condition, such as new, used, scuffed, rare)
AGE: (needs 5 spaces to insert age group, such as kind, el-hi, 10-15, adult).
NEW1 (a field for future use, as I can change name. say 2 digits)
NEW2 ( a field for future use, as I can change name, say 10 digits)
The order of these fields is not important.You may find it convenient to have the names, locations, and lengths of the existing fields on the two records Here they are (from some very old notes so maybe a little off toward the end):
1st record:
Title 1/2-191
Author 192/193-238
Desc 239/240-223
Desc 224/225-2552nd record:
Desc 1/1-132
Supplier 133/134-137
Supplier #: 138/139-142
Bin # (now called Grp#): 143/144-146
Price 147/148-154
Discount 155/156-157
ISBN# *****
Type 174/175
Supplier Discount 176/177-199
Categories 200/201-206
W/R 207/208
Restriction 209/210
Inventory 211/212-216
Minstock 217/218-222
Maxstock 223/224-231?
YTD Sales 232/233-237
PRY Sales 238/239-243
ERY Sales 244/245-249?
Title # 250/251-255Thanks,
Bill Jones

Ok, thanks for the additional info.

I don't think I will be able to help with this project so I will open the question up to the other programmers again.

Programmer: comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
comp_audio
comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist

I am not sure this is possible without actually seeing the files myself. Can you attach them here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Files are uploaded onto wikisend as follows. You can retrieve them for 7 days with the Wiki ID numbers shown:
VISTATIL.BAS 812000
TITLE.HDG 449324
TITLE.DAT 438812
Thanks for taking a look at my question.
Bill Jones 7/30/16

Ill take a look and get back you as soon as i can.

Alright, I did take a look, and sadly Arty had some pretty complex coding there, and not easily revamped. You will most likely have to have someone remake a new app, but not certain. I will have to opt out and hopefully someone will have the capability to work on his already made application. So sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for looking.Actually Arty did not do the files you saw. He created new programs to sort the data files that were made by these files in new ways.The files sent are old DOS program and data files.Bill Jones
comp_audio
comp_audio
comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist