The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer
Experience:  Extensive Knowledge in PHP, MYSQL, CSS & Javascript
62934938

In my Excel spreadsheet, I want to calculate the difference

Customer Question

In my Excel spreadsheet, I want to calculate the difference between cell B1 less cell A1. If the difference is greater than 10% of cell A1, then show the difference in cell C1, otherwise hide the row
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?
Customer: Excel 2013
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Computer is Lenovo T530
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: that is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once the row is hidden because the difference is not greater than 10% of cell A1, I still want to be able to unhide the rows and look at them if I want to. I want to be able to toggle back and forth between showing the report with just the line items that show differences greater than 10% or look at all the line items regardless if their difference is greater than 10% or not. Hope this helps
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 1 year ago.

If I were doing this I would not do it with a row hide. I would do it with a second sheet. I would have one sheet with all of the rows with all the data, and then another tab with all the data that meets the criteria that you have laid out.

Not only is it easier, but it is much cleaner than hiding and unhiding rows.

Please let me know if this is an option, because as I stated it make for a cleaner process, and a smoother way to present the data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Christopher. Please proceed with your idea.....one tab with all data and another tab that meets the criteria. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Christopher. This spreadsheet would be cumulative from day to day. Meaning I start with columns A & B today. Tomorrow it will be columns A, B, and C and the difference would then be the difference between Cell C1 less Cell B1 and so on and the next day the difference between D1 minus C1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, An added note that would be helpful. The spreadsheet comparisons I'm looking at are the daily balance sheet and daily income statements for a bank. I would like for the percentage difference threshold to be different for variance lines in the spreadsheet. I'm assuming then we would have to have a formula for each line of the spreadsheet in order to say if the difference on this line is greater than 10% then move it to a new sheet or if this difference is greater than 25% from the previous day move it to a new sheet. It's not as simple as saying the percentage difference to be reviewed is the same for each line item. I'm attaching a spreadsheet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Excel spreadsheet doesn't seem to be attaching
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Given the example I thought you would be providing me with a formula or a macro example to add to my worksheet. If not then this is not the service I expected it to be. I used this service once before and was provided a formula to fix my problem.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

if we want to copy and paste to another sheet the best method would be a macro as opposed to a formula, since a formula wouldn't do the copy paste for us.

try a website like sendspace.com, upload the file, then they give you a link. Paste that link here, and I will take a look and see what needs to be done and figure out a price to do it.