Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Am I able to send you the spreadsheet I am working on?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that you can help me write a formula or help me determine if a macro is necessary?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2016
Programmer: Bryan, Programming Tutor replied 1 year ago
Bryan, Programming Tutor

Sure. Just attach it using the paperclip icon. Then you can explain what it is that you are trying to do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry for the delay

No problem. Go ahead and explain what you are trying to do while I take a look.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok. column L has formulas written. because there are spaces, I can't sort properly or at all. I need to find all the results (yes, no, and #sum) and list the column A, H, I, J next to those results in ascending order on a separate tab and be able to sort. Or if there is an easier way, I am open.

Alright. Give me a minute.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe a Vlookup?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't give up the spaces between players because of the formulas in column I. We will be adding scores as the season goes on.

Ok, well first we need to fix the errors on I and J, then we can fix L. How quickly do you need this done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what errors are you referring to? the formulas in H require 3 scores, and if there are not 3 scores, I am ok with the result "#sum"
time frame- tomorrow or Thursday will be fine. What am I dealing with here-- formulas or macros? Thanks- DA
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry--- the formulas in I require 3 scores, Not H

This can all be done with Formulas. I am getting #NUM calculation errors that I need to fix before I can work on the L calculation. Which version of Excel are you using? Or are you using a different spreadsheet app than Excel? I can get to work on this and should have it for you sometime within the next 12-18 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am unsure of the excel version I am using. probably 2000.
If any player does not have three scores, I would prefer a result of "not enough scores" or "#sum" is fine too.
If you think my formulas throughout the sheet are not adequate I am open to that.
This sheet attempts to calculate player's best three scores (and differential as shown in the formula), and which player's best three as compared to their GHIN handicap which is a manual entry, not a formula. Thanks-

Ok. That could be why I am getting an invalid number calculation on those columns. I will need to install Office 2000 to verify that. Are you using Windows for this? And if so, do you know which version?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Microsoft office version 2010 plus.
Operating system is windows but can't figure out which version. I'll keep looking.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just found it. Windows 7 Enterprise.

Ok. I'm running Office 2013 in Windows 7 Pro. I'll install 2010 to make sure we keep compatibility. I'll have something for you tomorrow (12-18 hours from now).

Can you send me a sheet with a full set of rows? Or at the very least 9 rows? Does col I look correct in your set of data? How about col J?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to send this later.
i am unsure why you need a full sheet with at least 9 columns. Thx. DA.

My request for the extra data has to do with the Average function used in Col I, which in turn affects Col J. Which is also my reason for asking about those Columns.

What is Column I supposed to represent? And how does it change based on subsequent rows? I just filled in fake values for G8 (11.6) and G9 (11.7) to get the Small calculations to work (since you are trying to retrieve 3 values, it needs at least 3 values to work with. I could have used any other 2 rows in G, I just chose those two because they were there). The Average of those will always be 11.6 (just because of the fake values I put in). So depending on how the formula changes for subsequent rows, it will either stay 11.6 in col I for all rows, or it will differ if you average other cells.

Then we come to Column J. I'm not sure why you are using =SMALL(I7:I7,1) because it's not an array that is stored in I, just an average of the 3 Small values. You could have just as easily used =I7

However, once I put in the fake data, I got rid of the #NUM error in I and J plus got a "No" in L

So that's why it would be best to have more data and an explanation of what the data should look like in Cols I and J. Once we get those worked out, then we can move on to your original problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see. Thx for the elaboration. Entering fake values to eliminate the #SUM results is fine because as I add more scores, I will override your fake entries anyway.
I will look into col J. The formula should have been looking at column H and I, not just I. I will let you know when I can get back to a computer. Might have to be after work later today.

That's fine. Just let me know when you're ready to continue.

Did you still want to work on this, or have you found another solution?

Bryan, Programming Tutor