Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I'm not versed in VBA so I need a lot of help. I want to set up a macro in Excel 2016 to do a simple task such as...

Customer Question
okay, I'm not versed in...
okay, I'm not versed in VBA so I need a lot of help. I want to set up a macro in Excel 2016 to do a simple task such as centering an object within a specific cell or a range of cells. I've already been told that access is the best software to do that but I opened access and it all looks Greek to me. I've been using Word, Publisher, & Excel for several years with moderate success. I don't do this for a living I just run my church's monthly newsletter and I'm trying to create a directory of peoples names and photos where the photo is centered in each cell above the name, address, etc. I copied as code from the internet that is supposed to center an object but I can't seem to get a grip on the step by step needed to set up a macro to use this code. Help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2016
Programmer: The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer

first are you doing this in access or excel, because you mentioned both software.

Programmer: Richard, Consultant replied 1 year ago
Richard, Consultant

Hi there and welcome

Sorry about the confusion, it is very clear what your asking.

If you already have the picture in the file, then you will want to use this code to center it

Sub CenterSelectedPicture()

Dim myR As Range
Set myR = Application.InputBox( _
"Center the selected picture on what cell?", , , , , , , 8)
Selection.ShapeRange.Top = myR.Top
Selection.ShapeRange.Left = myR.Left

Selection.ShapeRange.IncrementLeft (myR.Width - Selection.ShapeRange.Width) / 2

End Sub

If you have not yet actually added the picture to the file, then this code will allow you to both select the picture and insert it in a centered manner

Sub InsertCenterPicture()

Dim myR As Range
Set myR = Selection
'Insert the picture
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert( _
Application.GetOpenFilename( _
"JPG picture files (*.jpg),*.jpg", , "Select the picture")).Select
'center the picture on the current range selection

End Sub

I can also do this code for you directly in your sheet, and have made the offer, please accept it and I can then do this for you

thank you

Richard, Consultant