Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I use R . I'm trying to login to a webpage and read the

Customer Question
I use R for scraping...
I use R for scraping. I'm trying to login to a webpage and read the content afterwards, but it's not successful. Here is the code:
destination <- "http://artsalesindex.artinfo.com/auctions/Lajos-A-1897312/Portrait-of-young-lady-with-feather-fan-1885"
result <- POST(destination,
endoce ="form",
body = list( lightboxusername="username", lightboxpassword="password")
)
piece_html <-read_html(result)
x % html_nodes(".style14Reg222") %>% html_text()
if (length(x)==0) {price2 <- "NA"} else{price2 <- x}
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
piece_html <-read_html(result)
x <- piece_html %>% html_nodes(".style14Reg222") %>% html_text()
if (length(x)==0) {price2 <- "NA"} else{price2 <- x}is actually correct
6/4/2016
Programmer: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi there,

Did you get the correct code sorted?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was a typo in the first question I sent, here is the code I have, but it still does not work.
result <- POST(destination,endoce ="form",
)
piece_html <-read_html(result)
if (length(x)==0) {price2 <- "NA"} else{price2 <- x}My goal is to read data fields such as PRICE SOLD and ORIGINAL CURRENCY OF SALE which show up after login.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can give you my user and pass if it's necessary.

Is it reading, but reporting incorrect data, or not reading at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
here is a complete description. For the exact same url I provided above, there are two page sources. One is before login, and the other after login.With the code I provided, I can read the data fields which is publicly available( such as title, year, medium, ...), but I cannot read those those that show up in the page source after login ( such as PRICE SOLD). I think POST command should somehow post the login form required to the website, and get back the response, and the response should be the page source after login; but apparently it doesn't. It should be very easy to check with Rstudio.
For example I can easily read title field with these line, since it is in the page source before login.
x <- piece_html %>% html_nodes(".style16Italic222") %>% html_text()
if (length(x)==0) {title <- "NA"} else {title <- x}
but I cannot read the PRICE SOLD and ORIGINAL CURRENCY OF SALE.The result is "PRICE SOLD\n" , and NA respectively. SO I guess it does not read the page source after login.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
html nodes after login should be .style14Reg222 for price, and .style13Reg222 for original currency of sale.

Are you only interested in the one site, or have you tried the code with any other sites?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm interested in just this website.

I can't see anything wrong with the code, so I'm not sure why it's not working with this website.

I'll check with the other experts to see if they have any ideas...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The issue is logging in. The part which reads the nodes should be fine, and it can read different publicly available fields. But for reading I have to give url plus credentials, which credentials are posted by POST command, which I guess does not do the job. let me know if you need credentials so you can check the page sources before and after login.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could it because there are several forms in the webpage? but I don't know how to target just one form .
Pete, Computer Engineer