Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I am a technology professional with 18 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).
93256567

We have a website with GoDaddy. They are phasing out the

Customer Question

We have a website with GoDaddy. They are phasing out the version we use (version 6). We have to migrate to the new platform (version 7). We were told that if we migrate to version 7 and keep same domain names feeding into the website as well as same key words and images, we will not lose our search engine ranking as Google will recognize our site on the new platform as if nothing changed. Can you give me any insight if this seems right. As you can imaging we worked very hard to get our rankings and do not want to lose business by having to start over again as far as ranking. please let me know your thoughts.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent web expert paired with you through JustAnswer.com. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

GoDaddy's customer support agents told you the truth! Google/Bing/et al. do not take into account any of your back end hosting information; that is to say that the sites do not index nor rank you based on which server (or OS) you are hosted on, what platform you are running on, etc. In fact, you would be able to (and many do) completely switch web hosts at any time with no effect to your search rankings so long as your actual site -- and the SEO work you've there incorporated -- remain the same.

In this case, you're not going so far as even a hosting change -- merely a platform upgrade. Rest assured that the hard work you've done to increase your search visibility will remain unaffected.

If you have any other questions, please let me know! You can return to our Q&A thread at: my.justanswer.com anytime.

Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check back in and make sure that my answer fully addressed your concerns? If you have any additional questions, please let me know.