Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I am ***** *****. I am trying to find the date that a site…

Customer Question
Hello - I am...

Hello - I am ***** *****. I am trying to find the date that a site was visited in Safari. The URL is not saved in bookmarks or history - I can only see it in Settings --> Safara --> Advanced - and I see a HUGE list of websites URLs

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It's under Website Data I just need to know the DATE that a particular site was accessed I downloaded iFunbox

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Programming
1/31/2016
Programmer: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi there,

If you have Parental Controls enabled then you can log into the admin account and use the "Websites Visited" log in the Parental Controls System Preference to find the date and time the particular site was accessed.

Or you can go to Finder and look for this directory: /Users/[yourUsername]/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari then open the History folder where your histories located, and arrange it by date. When you find the site you want to look for the date was accessed, just go to "Get info".

In these instructions, you say to "go to finder" - where and what is that?Or you can go to Finder and look for this directory: /Users/[yourUsername]/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari then open the History folder where your histories located, and arrange it by date. When you find the site you want to look for the date was accessed, just go to "Get info".
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call + Remote Tech Support. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I don't necessarily want a video call put think we need to talk rather than messaging. Again, I am trying to find the date and time a site was visited in Safari. The history files are cleared often but all sites visited are listed in Settings -- Safari -- Advanced -- Website Data. I am trying to find the date these sites listed here were visited. I downloaded iFunbox but it has not been helpful.

Depending on what version of OS X you have, you will have Finder or Spotlight to find your files. Use it.

I am sorry but your responses are NOT at all helpful and they certainly aren't worth $51. Please refund my money and I will continue to search for a resolution myself.

What part of my responses do you not understand, and I will be happy to explain further?

Well, the fact that you're providing instruction for how I can find files is an indication that you're not understanding my question. I want to see the dates that a particular URL was accessed on a 4s iPhone. The URL does not show in the browse history however, it does show in Settings --> Safari --> Advanced and I want to AT LEAST know the last date it was accessed and even better - ALL dates. Your instructions will not provide me with what I am looking for and I think you know that.

I'm sorry, but this is the first time that you have mentioned you are using an iPhone 4S!

I'm sorry but as a Programmer providing support, I would think you'd want to gather those specs upfront before you start troubleshooting or making recommendations!

I will be exiting this conversation now as I don't feel comfortable continuing with you on this. Someone else may be along shortly.

I'd feel pretty silly as well.
Programmer: david, Programming Guru replied 2 years ago
david
david, Programming Guru

I would be glad to help. Unfortunately Safari does not keep track of every date that you accesses a particular website. It does however track the date of your most recent visit and how many times that site was visited within it's time window (usually only one week). If you'd like, I can show you how to access this information via iFunBox. Also, if your computer is running Windows instead of OS X you will need third-party software to view the plist file that contains the history information. This tool works well for me:

http://plist-editor-for-windows.software.informer.com/

David - I downloaded iFunBox over the weekend and could not find the history.plist file anywhere. I found several *.plist files but not the one for history. Please advise.

iFunBox may not be able access the file location if your device is not jailbroken. But this depends on the iOS device and iOS version. See if you can access this folder location from the file explorer tab of iFunBox. User > Library > Safari > History.plist

David - I'm sorry but I don't think you guys are reading my responses thoroughly and consequently, we're losing time. I found iFunBox through my own research. I downloaded it and I did go through these steps - Safari wasn't even in there. I have all kinds of other .plist files (ie: Books, Purchases, Ringtimes, iTunesMetadata, StorePurchasesInfo, PhotoBulletins and many, many more) - nothing for Safari.

I see. I suspect that your device is not jailbroken and this is preventing you from seeing the correct folders. I would be happy to walk you through the process of jailbreaking if you would like so we can continue with my solution. It won't affect any of the content already on your device and will only take 30-60 minutes. Please let me know if you would like to proceed.

I would like to proceed - please let me know when you're ready and available.
I don't see any of the same folders you have listed - see attached - and wouldn't this be easier to walk through over the phone? I paid $51 for this service and I receive 1 - max 2 emails a day and the case has been open now for a week.
I can be reached at(###) ###-####at any time - I am in Denver, CO - so Mountain Standard Time.

I see. Yes that is common with unjailbroken devices. Do you have iTunes installed on your machine?

OK, to do the jailbreak we will need to get a copy of iOS that matches your exact device model and ios Version number. Can you go into the settings to find the version number of iOS that is installed? This page will walk you through the steps to get your version number:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-tell-which-version-of-ios-is-running-on-your-ipad-iphone-3599465/

NO! You can call me at(###) ###-####

I'm sorry I am not available for phone support at this time. The jailbreaking process is very simple and straight forward. Simply let me know if you get stuck during this process. RIght now we just need to figure out the version number on your iphone. Are you not able to visit that link? If you click and drag your mouse over the whole link, then hit Ctrl+C to copy, then in your web browser, open a new tab with Ctrl+T and then click on the address bar at the top, and hit Ctrl+V to paste the address, and hit enter.

I have ver 7.1.2 and it's waiting to download 9.2.1

I see. Before we start, generally when you jailbreak, you must keep that version of ios on your device to stay jailbroken. So if you decided to update to 9.2.1 in the future, you would lose the jailbreak.

So you may want to decide what is more important to you at this time. If you only want to be jailbroken for this single task, and then go back to a locked device after you install the update that's fine too. But you will only be able to access your history file while your device is jailbroken.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

just this single task

OK great. So you will want to visit this page:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/download-pangu-jailbreak

And scroll down until you see:

Download Pangu Jailbreak for iOS 7 – iOS 7.1.2

Then click the download link below it to download the Windows or Mac version (this is for the computer you have iTunes installed on and that you've used to sync your phone)

Are you having any trouble with my previous instructions?

I understand if you find the jailbreaking process to be a bit intimidating, but it is actually very simple and safe process. Once you download the jailbreaking tool, and the ios Update file, the rest of the process is just a few mouse clicks.

Please let me know if you are having any trouble with this and whether or not you would like to continue jailbreaking. Keep in mind that this is 100% legal and will not void your warranty.

You can visit your question page using the URL below to let me know the status of your problem:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9iwdm-trying-find-date.html

If you no longer need help with this issue, please let me know. I will do my best to keep your question open until you have a chance to reply or leave a rating on the question page:

Working on this now - please don't close - thank you.
I completed the jailbreak process for IOS 7.1.2 (version on my phone) w/ Pangu 1.2.1 and the Safari folder is there but the history folder is not - please advise.
Actually, I did find the history.plist file but the dates are all listed in strings. How do I convert a string into a date?###-##-####470454###-##-####665865
I completed the jailbreak process and it did not in fact show many deleted history - the history file shows me everything that I can currently see on the phone. The whole purpose for this request was to pull deleted Safari history and I only see the last 12 searches and I've had this phone for close to 2 years. Any other suggestions?
to be a little more specific, if you can please refer to my original question - I was asking how to see the dates that sites listed under on the iPhone, in Settings - under Safari --> Advanced --> Website Data were accessed and was told that by jailbreaking my phone, I could get to this information. Only 1% of the sites listed under this "Website Data" are listed in the history.plist file. Please help!

I'm glad you were able to complete the jailbreak process on your own. And yes, the date format stored in History.plist is a bit cryptic. It actually represents the number of seconds since January 1, 2001. This is also known as Mach Absolute time. The easiest way to convert this to an understandable date and time is to use an online converter. This one should work for you:

http://www.gaijin.at/en/olsutc.php

Simply enter your date string into the Mach field, make sure the radio button is selected for that field and hit the "Convert Time" button.

Unfortunately that file is the only file that stores history information for Safari, so if the data you are looking for is not there, then the history must have been cleared at some point. Once the history is cleared there is no way to access previous history information. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

I've asked this question a few times but via my iPhone so I'm not sure if it's coming through - I only see about 10 URLs listed in the history.plist file but I see about 150 URLs listed under Settings - under Safari --> Advanced --> Website Data.But here's my question - please tell me the difference between "clearing" history and "deleting" history. Because the whole reason why you suggested I go through the jailbreak process was to get to the deleted history in the history.plist file. And my final question to you is how long are URLs retained in the history.plst file - how far back does that go?
David - please see my unanswered questions above.Also - I am using the mach absolute time converter you provided but it's not working. Can you recommend another and/or at least provide the dates for these two times below?:
###-##-####470454###-##-####665865

I see. On the website data page you are seeing information regarding cookies and local storage for websites. This is different from history. However, it is possible to obtain the creation date of individual cookies. The process is a bit more involved but I would be happy to walk you through it. Here is a page that explains it all:

http://www.securitylearn.net/2012/10/27/cookies-binarycookies-reader/

The two times you provided translate to:

26.02.2016 07:11:58 GMT

26.02.2016 07:11:46 GMT

If you are able to update me on the status of your problem I would greatly appreciate it. Remember to rate once you are satisfied. If you would like help determining the creation date of cookies on your phone I can help, just let me know.

I will do my best to keep this question open. But if you are able to update me on the status of your problem it will help me and other experts know what to do with your question.

When you have a chance please visit your question page below to leave a RATING or to REPLY to indicate the status of your problem:

To ensure your question is not closed, please visit your question page to leave a RATING or to REPLY to let me know the status of your problem:

If you no longer need help with this issue please let us know at:

Please visit your question page below and leave a RATING if you no longer need help with this particular issue:

david
david
david, Programming Guru