Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Can someone please tell me why my "Add to Buggy"

Customer Question
button is not working in...
Can someone please tell me why my "Add to Buggy" button is not working in Firefox, but it is working in Chrome, IE, and Safari? I assume someone with Javascript expertise could us Firebug to figure this out. Thanks in advance- Website: tbbc.us
- Go to any product page and try to add the product to your cart in Firefox to see that it does not work
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Programming
1/20/2016
Programmer: Martin, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
Martin, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.

What's the name of the Add-on so I can download and take a look at it?

Please reply using the box below.

Regards,

Or is it just the button on the website?

I had a look, you will have to disable javascript for it to work on Firefox.

Use this add-on to test it out:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/toggle-js/

Toggle to "Off" and refresh the page with the "Add to buggy" button.

It's not a problem with your website but a problem with the newer versions of Firefox.

Thanks Martin - the problem is that I need to keep Javascript enabled for other key functions of the website to work. If I disable Javascript, we won't be able to use our site effectively. Any thoughts?

I believe your site is fine - it's Firefox that has decided to leave it enabled by default without the option to disable it (you need an add-on to do that). Chrome interprets the web page differently and figures out what you need for the button to work.

If you need it to work on Firefox with it's current setting you could make your web page act differently when it encounters Firefox.

You would need it to detect the browser first and then make a section for Firefox specifically - this would mean your button would have to work differently too.

Have you tried other older versions of Firefox, it looks more like a FF bug than anything else - the problem is usually the other way around, js not being enabled

I'm not sure I understand. This is a site that I created (it's actually a Shopify site, but I did a lot of the custom coding). Our customers who use Firefox are having trouble adding things to their cart (so we can't sell them any products... big problem). I can't control whether they have JS enabled and can't control which version they are using... so I need to find a way to make this button work as it does in Chrome (check it out in Chrome to see what's supposed to fire when the button is clicked) so we aren't losing money from lost customers
PS - yes, I did the custom coding, but I'm a novice, hence why I'm asking for help figuring out this bug :)

Yes I had a look on both browsers, the problem is it's a Firefox related issue - not something to do with your site or coding.

Just like Chrome users had to switch to Firefox because of Java being completely removed (from Chrome).

You would need to use a browser detection mechanism on your website so the FF users get redirected to a different page where you use a different submission form for your cart.

Does that make sense?

but what about the fact that this site, which uses the exact same code base (this is the "Theme" that I purchased and did a bit of custom coding on) does work in Firefox: https://parallax-theme-aspen.myshopify.com/collections/mens-apparel/products/the-fundamental-shell-mens-midnight? Are you able to see what the difference is between this page and my page that is leading to the issue?

Can you give me until tomorrow so scope it out properly and look at both page's code to see if I can find the exact problem for you?

I can't look into it right now but I can later tonight.

I can give you a concrete answer by tomorrow unless you find it first.

Ok thanks. That's great. I'll let you know if I figure it out prior to that. Appreciate the help

Sounds good, thanks!

Martin - did you have any luck with this request?

Not yet unfortunately - do you have a list of things you modified from the original code?

i'm wondering if it might have something to do with this "if" statement that I added within one of the functions in app.js. Do you know how to run a test on that? I'm wondering if the function is getting stuck on if and never processing the else (which is the add to cart action). Again, I coded this stuff but I really have no experience debugging, so I don't even know how to use firebug... just taught myself as I went...if (!event.target.checkValidity()) {
$('.monogram-error-message').show();
$('#monogram').get(0).scrollIntoView();
}
else
{

I will open your question to other experts so you can get more help - please stand by