Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in computer programming.
30970729

My Joomla site got hacked just before I upgraded to J3.4.6.

Customer Question

Customer: My Joomla site got hacked just before I upgraded to J3.4.6. I've found a lot of php files affected and I think I've restored them. But at the backend, I am getting a blank page whenever I click on a core Joomla compoenent (e.g index.php?option=com_banners, com_plugins, com_content, etc)) but not for added components like akeeba (e.g. index.php?option=com_akeeba), jce editor, etc. But I get control panel and global configuration. I am about to do an akeeba restore, but wanted to avoid this if at all possible, because the backup is not the most recent changes to the site. What do you think?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty detailed already!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Programming Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The best way to fix this is to make a backup copy of the current corrupted site first, then restore the most recent working backup that you have, and then copy the updated files from the backup you just made, one by one. Test the site after each file is transferred. If you get a blank page then you have found the cause of the trouble.