Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Just wondering how i can transfer my files to another

Customer Question
Hey! Just wondering how i can...
Hey!
Just wondering how i can transfer my files to another computer and not break the hyperlinks... i hve done it before but i cant seem to do-it now
thank you
matte
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Programming
12/19/2015
Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 1 year ago
Jason Carlamere
  • For Word 2010 click the File tab and then click Options or for Word 2007 Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
  • Click on Advanced
  • Under the General section click the Web Options button
  • Select the Files tab
  • Uncheck the Update links on save check box
  • Click OK twice to exit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is for microsoft frontpage 2003,, it has several hyperlinks that keep breaking if i transfer them to another computer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you recommend a solution , im at my wits end lol
Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 1 year ago

what exactly happens to the hyperlink ? Can you show me a before and after.. Also - are you using relative or absolute hyperlinks ?

Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 1 year ago

also - a little information about what the hyperlink is going to will help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the hyperlink is going to another frontpage document. It works on the source the files were created in but when i move them they break and show a screen that says the browser cannot find the file. All the files always stay together and they work on one computer but none others. Not sure what the difference is, its a sentence or a word converted to a hyperlink link, if that helps :)
Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 1 year ago

Are you using relative or absolute values for the hyperlink ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ah whats the difference?
Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 1 year ago

it's a big different for when you migrate your site to another computer/server etc..

Relative links will point to a page which is relative to the page that contains the link - for example - if the page was in the same directory and it was called default.html you can call it simply by putting ./default.html

Absolute is where you would point to the directory structure and location of the file.

I suggest you read the following article for frontage developers. it's not long but it's useful -- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155920(v=office.10).aspx

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for the answer, sorry i have not responded i have been at work for the week,,, i think my links are relative, and the files are not online. I still need advice as to how to move these files without my hyperlinks losing their connections/links to other pages
Programmer: david, Programming Guru replied 1 year ago
david
david, Programming Guru

I would be glad to help. To better understand how your links are defined, can you upload one of your web pages to http://www.wikisend.com and reply to me with the upload link so I can take a look? I suspect you are using absolute local file system URLs in your web page and that is causing the problem, but it could be a number of things depending on how you set up Frontpage. Once I am able to view the source code of your page I will be able to identify the exact problem and provide a solution for you.

If you are having trouble uploading your page via my previous suggestion, let me know and I can walk you through the process.

If you are having trouble with wikisend, you could copy and paste the source code of your web page into http://www.pastepin.com and hit the Create New Paste button, then provide me the page link that is created and I can look at your page that way. Let me know if you are having trouble with either of those methods and I can walk you through it.

When you have a chance, please reply on the question page to let me know the status of your problem:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/9gftn-hey-just-wondering-transfer-files.html

ATLPROG
ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer