Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I have the following guest information in a table: RRN Col1

Customer Question
I have the following guest...
I have the following guest information in a table:
RRN Col1 Col2 Col3
1 SMITH/M ***@******.*** ID1
2 SMITH/M ***@******.***
3 MEYERS/A ID2
4 MEYERS/B ***@******.***
5 SMITH/S ***@******.*** ID1
Rows 1,2,5 represent one household with different data in 3 columns that identifies them as a single household. Rows 3,4 represent another household with different data in 3 columns that identifies them as a unique househould.
I need to find a way to count the number of households with unique entries in either of the 3 columns.
So, the result of the SQL operation would be 2.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Programming
11/26/2015
Programmer: Aitizaz, Software Engineer replied 2 years ago
Aitizaz
Aitizaz, Software Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! i am Aitizaz and i will assist you today

can you please put this information in a text file with formatting so that i can have a clear understanding of the requirements?

I just posted it. Thx.

OK! let me have a look at it

No worries. I can explain in more detail why the columns can have different information but relate to the same household.

What is the condition to identify different household?

Unique information in any column. For example, rows 1, 2 and 5 are the same household, because 1 of the 3 columns match for those 3 rows.

when do you need this?

What are my options? It would be great to be able to work on the rest of it this weekend. Is it possible to have tomorrow?
I'm in Billings, Montana, USA.

in fact i have a commitment this weekend. i will try to do it as early as possible. can we take it to the next week if i cannot complete that on weekend?

As long as it would be early next week if you can't get to it before hand. I'm using command line SQL so the solution needs to be a single statement, not an SQL procedure. Thx!

Yes i will try to do that as early as possible and as a single statement.Thanks

Aitizaz, any progress on the SQL statement?

i remained busy on the weekend as told you earlier. i will start working on it now and will get back to you soon.

Don't you think the result of the query should be 3?

Since MEYERS/A and MEYERS/B are two different records with nothing in common in the rest of the two columns as well

You are correct. I'm sorry -- I gave you bad info. The accurate result is 3. What I was trying to show is that there are three columns that have to be checked and that any of the 3 columns could be used to identify a household. For example, in Row 5, if the Col2 entry was***@******.*** instead of***@******.***, it would match with Row 2 on one entry, thus count as one household. Again, sorry for the confusion in my data example.jef

No problem. i am working on it and as soon as i am successful, i will post the SQL query here.

can you send me the complete database ( or some portion of it) so that i may apply the query on it?

Aitizaz, not easily. It is on my mainframe, not my PC. Please send me what you have and I'll run it quickly across my guest data set.

i am trying different queries and have not been able to get the exact result as yet. but i am working and will intimate you shortly

Aitizaz, are you able to develop a solution?

I am out of ideas on this. i will opt out so that any other expert may help you. Thank you very much for your patience.

Will somebody else pick this up automatically or do I submit the question again?
Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 2 years ago
Jason Carlamere

Hello - My name is***** see that our previous expert was unable to help you. I will pick up this up and assist you. I see that you are running this in a mainframe - Is this a going against a VSAM file or are you running a query against a database. I think I understand your requirements, and you are looking for a SQL query correct ?

And just so I am clear on my understanding - your example data would return to you 5 correct ? All rows are unique.

Also - what type of database are you running this against ?

Thanks Jason. Let me know if you have any questions about the SQL statement I'm trying to get. I've asked that it be a single pass SQL statement so it can be executed/run via command line. But, if that is not going to work, I could be open to multi-pass statement where pre-steps build a temp file.
PS: Cute picture ... which one is you? Ha!
Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 2 years ago

I'm the cute one .. :).. I have a question. To help me understand you goal. You say in your initial post that the result should be a count of 2 but I see all 5 rows have unique values when comparing all 3 columns.

Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 2 years ago

Are you basing unique if col1 or col2 or col3 are unique.

Walk me through your though process of why 1,2,5 is counted as 1 household.

Wouldn't SMITH/M *****@******.*** ID1 be unique from SMITH/M *****@******.*** and SMITH/S *****@******.*** ID1 ?

The database I'm using is IBM DB2 (IBM i to be specific). Yes, I'm trying to count guest households where col1, 2 or 3 is unique. To provide a little more clarity, Col3 is actually our loyalty card number which may or may not be present depending on when the user buys it. And, what you are seeing is not actual data from our database, it is made up to try to simply represent the data layout where Col1 is our guest name, Col2 is an email address and Col 3 is the loyalty card number.This is a database of transactions where our guests supply the information, meaning I'm dealing with user input and they don't care if they supply easy information for me to count households. So, let's look at records 1, 2 and 5 and why they are the same household.Row 1 and 2 have the same Col1 entry (Name) so they come from the same household -- even though at some point SMITH/M changed his email address from aol to yahoo.com. And at the transaction time of Row 1, SMITH/M had a loyalty card (Col3), but when he stayed with us later, represented by Row 2, he did not have his loyalty card.Row 5 is a transaction where SMITH/M's wife was the main name on the transaction (SMITH/S) -- she even used the household's loyalty card number to tie it in, but she used her old aol account when staying.That is our challenge in SQL: using any of the three columns as unique identifiers to count the number of households in our database. We currently have custom code (not SQL) to do the work, and I'm trying to simplify our ad-hoc reporting of households down to a SQL statement my team can run anytime marketing wants to know.Hope that helps.
Programmer: Jason Carlamere,
 replied 2 years ago

Got it - I have your sample data loaded up in a MySQL database and will get back to you. If I can't come up with anything shortly I will release the question to see if another expert can assist you.

You have a complex problem and I don't know if a SQL query can give you what you need. You will for sure be able to accomplish this with a stored procedure that exists in the database. A stored procedure will give you the ability to perform logic against the data where SQL only allows you to pull data.

I will though try my best to see if a query can be written for this.

Yep, a stored proc will do the job. I've been batting this around for a long time and trying to see if an outside perspective would find a solution for the command line/ad-hoc need I have. Thanks for trying!
Programmer: Ronel Greaves, Software and Systems Architect replied 2 years ago
Ronel Greaves
Ronel Greaves, Software and Systems Architect

Good morning, do you still need help with this?

If so, I should be able to assist.

I would like to begin by asking -- When you look at the data, how are you personally able to recognize that several rows have the same household?

Once we know that, we should be able to build a query around it.

Ron, thanks, ***** ***** point Jason has taken over the assignment.
jef
ATLPROG
ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer