Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder
13568747

I would like to output a statement when there is no entry in

Customer Question

I would like to output a statement when there is no entry in a table. The scenario is vital signs, if no vital signs were taken and written into the table vital_signs I would like to output verbiage on a document using a stored procedure. Possible?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that's possible. Use a permanent table, created first of course, then take standard verbiage stored in that table and write that to a document, in the event of the table vital_signs being empty or having records all amounting to "" (empty string, null value, or similar.)

Using a permanent table can be sped up a little by making its creation a one-time event, and the input of data into it a one-time event. Then you will need to neither create it nor write to it, just to load it and write to a document from it (relatively not time-intensive as operations go, though by no means instantaneous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this what you are talking about?
USE [NGDevl]
GO/****** Object: Table [dbo].[MIST_Verbiage] Script Date: 09/04/2015 07:37:16 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GOSET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GOCREATE TABLE [dbo].[MIST_Verbiage]
([NoVitals] [varchar](50) NOT NULL) ON [PRIMARY]
GOUPDATE MIST_Verbiage set NoVitals = 'NO VITALS TAKEN TODAY'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scratch the UPDATE, that should be insert into...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to say I can't tell for sure. The wodge you posted has no line breaks and is unclear to me in places.

Also, it looks like no SQL I've ever used. I may have to Opt Out of this case.