Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I have been given some code to interact with Excel VBA and

Customer Question
Python, but I don't "get"...
I have been given some code to interact with Excel VBA and Python, but I don't "get" the Python code. The Python code, then interact with JSON code which goes to a server.
It is the server that does not interact with Excel, which is JSON
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Programming
The login METHOD code to the server is here:
http://media.tatts.com/documentations/ICustomer/Methods/Login.htmland the reason to log in is here: ( note, there are many "reason to log in codes", I only require the first one on the list, titled:
Win Bet REQUEST
which is this:
http://media.tatts.com/documentations/ICustomer/Methods/SellWageringToteBets.htmlWhat my Excel/VBA workbook can provide is
"BetType": "WP",
"MeetingCode": "MR",
"RaceNumber": 5,
"Runners": [4]
"WinInvestment": 10,
"PlaceInvestment": 0.0in a txt file. I do not understand how to do the rest.
I can provide the workbook, it works in real time, all you need to do is fill in the blanks,
There is no GUI, no "re-create the wheel, only the codes in Python are required to pick up what is in the txt files and onto the server as required to be in JSON
There is not much to it.
7/20/2015
Programmer: Ingo U, Software Engineer replied 2 years ago
Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
Hi,can you upload your workbook please? And why python? There are many ways of sending the contents of a text file to a web server. What do you want done with the server's response? Is there any kind of "practice" server to develop/debug this facility? Since it involves money transactions, surely you aren't expected to get your API client perfect the first time you try?...
I belong to a forum with similar interests. There are so called "experts" with all due respect, they tried to help.
But I have experience in the "logic" of automated systems since the 1994. So I understand the "logic" better than programmers.
Programming the "logic" is my issue, so I learnt to do it all in Excel VBA, gather my statistics over a period of time, over 10 years.
This phase is the crunch time. I asked the question 18 days ago, that question's thread has become 18 pages long, over 100 replies by members who thing they know better. So it seems the "experts" are saying, "convert you Excel VBA to python.
Well, OK, but let's do the final piece of the project, first. The "logic" is, well my logic, is Excel VBA can spit out onto .txt and Python can be triggered by Excel VBA to pick up what's in the .txt file and then "talk" to JSON and into the server.
They want Python to "talk" directly to Excel VBA, by-passing my log.txt file. No way, it has to be middle ground, that way I don't get tied up to some one else's BS. I have posted this similar reply, the last reply on that thread, no one has replied back yet.
Therefore, if I cannot get my project over the next phase at the forum, then they get nothing from my experience ever again if I have to pay for it. It is their loss.Yes, I can send you the platform whic works at the very point of making ready the log.txt file to be picked up by what ever means you suggest, so it goes to the server using the JSON code as required by the server's Admin.
I have to stress, it must be the log.txt file method. These things in the industry I'm in change all the time.
last year it was xml, then before that it was this and that, and once I was able to get the exact same data from a TV cable into a decoder box that plugged into the computer, and all those things become obsolete and stuck with dormant system that will never see the light of day. I am not able to keep up with the changes, and have remained stagnant, time has passed and, I can only affor so much now, more later because my stats prove it.Where do you want me to send the example work book, and/or do you wish to see the forum thread to, to get an idea of what's going on ?
Thank you.
I have responded, is all understandable ?Thanks
I think I understand your needs and concerns, and if you have an Excel VBA solution for the "logic" part that produces the desired results in a text file, by all means let's not change that. If I understand correcty, the rest is essentially "mail delivery", i.e sending the contents of that text file to the web server. From your reply it sounds like you're open to doing this with any "means I suggest", and python may be as good a choice as any - I'was mainly wondering if python was a hard requirement (and why) or not. To make an informed choice, here are some other questions for you, some of which I asked earlier and would still know the answers to:- Will your entire application run on a single Windows computer? Obviously the excel part does, but the resulting text file could in theory be transmitted elsewhere, another computer running another OS. Whatever the answer is today, can you see a possibility for that to change in the future?- When and how frequently will this application run? How automated or user-interactive do you need it to be? - What needs to happen to the response(s) from the web server? The simplest approach would be to append messages with timestamps to a log file that you can inspect when you need to. If any server response data need to get back into an Excel sheet, that will be more complicated. - Is there a "practice" server for development that can process dummy transactions without actual cash involved?If you could share with me your previous long conversation with others about this, it might provide valuable background for me to better help you. Also, the Excel file that produces a sample text file with the data would be needed. Please upload any files to wikisend.com, unless you have a file sharing site you prefer. Thanks,Ingo U PS If you're not familiar with wikisend, it's easy and free:Go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the File ID and Download Link. Copy either the File ID or the Download Link and come back here and paste it in your reply.
Ok, how about I direct you to the URL of the forum, I have uploaded the latest excel workbook that makes the txt files, but alos those in the know have the answers. You do not need to sign in, I'd rather you not. However, there are qualified programmers there, but they don't offer much, if anything at all. No one offers there methods, That is rule one. By doing what I have done, is skirting on the border near the fringe of *how* one wagers. No, don't go there, there is no respect when someone does this, it's frowned upon.
Reason is, Prices become lower because everyone then is using the same method of selecting a winner, weather it wins or loses.
I can assure you, I don't gamble. I have not put on a wager for a very very long time, not until I have this final and vital piece of the process working right. It sends the wager in real time, 30 seconds before the start of the race. To do this manually, day in day out, it causes losses. Another thing, when I do wager, my bookeeping is set at 0.333% of the betting bank, so a start bank of $100 will round up to $1.00 wager, My statistics which run on the 2nd computer daily, shows I'm safe with my method, it's been refined and I'm not guessing or "looking for a winning formula"...I just wanted to say this so you know I'm tire kicking. Everything up to now has been tested, using Excel. The problem is, to tread carefully every step of the way due to the fact the IT side of things constantly change, and that is why the academics don't understand me, why I want it made such a way. Finally, no, I am not making any money from my project yet, no real money, on test, yeah. Once I have it running, and I make money, from those profits, I have other stuff to sort out to.
But for now, it's the "bet sender"
Here is where it's all at, the boys are working on it, it's free, but the IT double speak that baffles me is why you are there.The url is
http://www.propun.com.au/racing_forums/showthread.php?t=30487&page=12&pp=10
My user name is***** started that thread and sort of opened a "gate" to we all don't know where it may lead.
There are no PM's there, it's disallowed, they communicate via email, but no one communicates with me,The post numbers of concern so we don't waste any time,are in the following order, and the gentleman helping is as you will see, username is ***** ***** introduced me to python, and insists I learn it. Problem is, he does not understand I am at the ready to wager in real life, and am not prepared to re-create the wheel. That's why I am here, at the ready to pay for this final and vital phase of my project.Start from post No's 91,92, 100 is the first example, I suggest take a look at the uploaded zip, it may answer some of your questions on the "method" regarding the "logic".
Post No's 108,109,110, and 111 is the last post with a cut down and refined version of the test bet sender and what the requirements are, less the things I do not understand.
Just go with the flow.
I will send you the part that makes the daily race list in time order, BEFORE the races have started, this is a requirement for testing the bet-sender, and actually make it work. If one sends a test wager after the race has started, then we will not know if it works other than a negative response from the server.I'll send you a excel file here now anyway so I can test this web site also, it's the same excel file as in post 111.I don't have much more to say, and open to questions and suggestions.
Thank for your timePete ( Australia )
Update:
The Python complete set of files have arrived, all I need to do is test with my account and password.
From here, I'll send you a new workbook, because the python files require me to update the .txt files from my application.
This way we can see how it works, BETA.
Then, all we need to do, and this is where I pay, to make me a proffesional version that is privately owned by me. I won't be sharing my private version. But the initial part I believe is done, logging into the tatts server_method_via_python_JSON.
This has saved me lots and just gratefull.Here is the python scripts, hope they are ok, but untested.
All I have to do is make the new .txt file as suggested in the instructions.I will personally thank the author for his free time and generosity for the python scripts.Can you let me know please if this helps your work, and what has it saved me had it not been for this initial layout for the interim been available?
How much to make a private bet sender that can be adjusted for future un-forseen changes with the tatts sever and some of the extra bits and pieces I visually will require?Pete
UPDATEI have made a new workbook in accordance with the previous upload.
All is in place as far as required and I done some tests.
No, nothing seemed to happen as far as not seeing my account balance lower by $1.00, meaning the $1.00 test real wager/bet did not got through. Even though I had a reply txt file saying I was logged on after the session ID script was fired.It is now up to us to make it work with your expertise. From here on, it's professional work, and I think I have enough to get things started. But all the interim testing as far as the JSON scripts, using Python seems to be in place, BUT, I will leave it up to you what you think is better or more suitable. IF we go ahead, if we agree on a deal, I will leave my betting account open with $100.00 test bet money, because I know you will require to test in real time.
But I need to know what your fee will be
Thanks
UPDATE
I AM MAKING CUT DOWN VERSION OF THE "DAILY TIME ORDER RACE LIST MAKER" AND ANSWERING YOUR PREVIOUS QUESTIONS IN A TXT FILE.
MY REPLIES TO YOUR PREVIOUS QUESTIONS THAT I MISSED ARE UN UPPERCASE BELOW YOUR COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS. I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT TAKING MORE CARE IN REGARDS ***** ***** OF THE MORE SPECIFIC QUESTIONS. I HAVE JUST OPENED AN ACCOUNT WITH WIKISEND, DID NOT REALIZE BEFORE.
WILL SEND SOME FILES, THE LATEST ARE THE BET SENDING IN PYTHON. IT WILL TAKE ME FEW HOURS TO SORT OUT. DID TRY TO SEND SOME REAL TEST FILES, BUT IT DID NOT SEEM TO WORK. THERE WAS NO ERRORS IN THE CODING, THERE WAS NO LOG OF WHAT WAS HAPPENING.
ANYWAY , STAND-BY FOR THE NEXT REPLY FOR THE WIKISEND DETAILS, ( FIRST TIME I'VE USED IT.)Pete
http://wikisend.com/download/981132/REPLIES-RE-BETSENDER.txt
password: raceday
The problem is here,
http://media.tatts.com/documentations/ICustomer/Methods/Login.html
I have only got working
A: "Username": "string",
and
B: "Password": "string",
working.
The rest as described in the URL from official tatts documents is not in the py script codes correctly.
I made workbook as required with the txt logging, tested and wagered $1.00 amounts, several times.
The account balance did not alter.
So Iooked further into the py script codes done by the forum member, and there are omissions.
The forum member has also revealed, they don't have an account with tatts to test it.
Therefore, my hunch was correct, they don't know everything, then why suggest I learn Python ? ( no need to answer Sir)However, I can still provide you with information and my tests, upto now all the test py scripts work as far as, they pick up my txt log files etc, except we now know what sections are missing.
I hope you are still interested.Further more, the test workbook, it was late early hours and I dozed off after testing.
I have to rebuild *our* test workbook, then I hope this will assist you in doing what needs to be done.
Below is what is in the URL, I will make a new test workbook, with the py scripts, but from there I will leave it up to you.Finally, what time zone are you in ? I am 9+ Adelaide South Australia. This is important to know, because the race start times when you test the method, may have to be done at certain times. Something to consider.
I need a reply, so I know where things stand.ThanksPete
---------------------------------------------------------
{
"Username": "string", ( works OK )
"Password": "string", ( works OK )
"Dob": "0001-01-01T00:00:00",(missing or not working in py script )
"DeviceName": "string", (missing or not working in py script )
"DeviceKey": "string",(missing or not working in py script )
"Referrer": "string"(missing or not working in py script )
---------------------------------------------------
ATLPROG
ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer