Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I'm selling digital learning content via Wordpress. When a…

Customer Question
I’m selling digital learning content...
I’m selling digital learning content via Wordpress. When a paid user views a page of content, I want to mask the url of that page so they can’t share the url with others (who haven’t paid). For example: when a user views a page ‘http://mydomain.com/learning-module-1/' I want them to see the content for that page, but show a different url in their browser, such as ‘http://mydomain.com/landing-page-1'. This likely involves setting up the htaccess file in Wordpress and I need help with that.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Programming
6/24/2015
Programmer: Jinsmn, Computer Science Teacher replied 3 years ago
Jinsmn
Jinsmn, Computer Science Teacher
Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.
Actually it used to be possible to hide the URL in the status bar using the JavaScript window.status property. However, this has now been disabled in all major browsers, as a security measure to try to prevent phishing attacks. If you are using a good account management system an non user should denied even if the URL is shared. That means a visitor can't access a private page without entering a valid user name and password.
So please check with your content URL weather a non registered user can see the private content or not.
If needed I will assist you to implement a good user management system on your WordPress site.
Regards
Jins
Thanks for the reply; yes, I've already had in-depth discussions with the provider of the content/learning/account management system. I have hosted my interactive learning content on a separate Wordpress platform because the existing learning/content system does not support two key aspects of the learning content I've created: 1) the content is created and rendered using Adobe Presenter, and they don't support that; 2) they do not have a method to detect mobile browsers and I want users to be able to view the learning content on any browser. I have published the content from Adobe Presenter in both Flash (for desktop/laptop users) and html5 (for mobile users) and I'm using a Wordpress plugin that detects the users' browser and sends them to the appropriate version. / After searching online, I've found descriptions of ways to do this using .htaccess but I've been unable to get the .htaccess coding correct in Wordpress. Can you help?
Okay, The code below should be placed in your .htaccess file:
RewriteEngine On
# ***** for mime types commonly accepted by mobile devices
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT} "text\/vnd\.wap\.wml|application\/vnd\.wap\.xhtml\+xml" [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/$
RewriteRule ^ http://m.domain.com%{REQUEST_URI} [R,L]
Replace http://m.domain.com with the URL of your mobile compatible website URL.
Regards
Jins
I'm sorry, you don't understand. You've given me a solution for the mobile web site, but I've already solved that. I don't need an answer for mobile web site. Please go back to my original question: I need a solution to mask the url so logged-in users cannot share urls with other people who have not paid.
Okay, that is what I explained first. The only thing you can try is masking the URL, but modern browsers not allow the masking script to protect users from Phishing.
the .htaccess redirect is not helpful for your need. Because, it uses to display a particular URL and redirect it to another URL. So in your case if some one share the URL we are displaying, and some one is trying to access that URL it will redirect to the original URL.
Regards
Jins
What you describe sounds like what I'm looking for: "display a particular URL and redirect it to another URL. ... if some one share the URL we are displaying, and some one is trying to access that URL it will redirect to the original URL."How do I do what you describe in Wordpress with .htaccess?
What I mean is .htacces redirection is NOT USEFUL for your need. I think you are confused because of the term "display a particular URL". Please read it as "Read a particular URL". I think you are familiar with Phone call redirection. Like that if a user tries to access a particular URL system will automatically redirect to another URL. That is not useful for your
Displaying a URL and redirecting to another URL was possible with Javascript. For example user sees www.tom.com on his web browser and the site actually loaded is www.jerry.com. But such facility misused by by cyber criminals for Phishing. For example if some one created a website as same as a banking site and fake the URL he can cheat many customers of the real banking institution. So modern web browsers will not allow such scripting and so such thing is not possible.
So what you want to do is secure your content pages by disallowing access without entering the right username and password.
So, even if some one share a link, visitors can't access the page without entering the credentials.
Regards
Jins
I feel like we're going in circles here and getting nowhere. You haven't given me anything that I didn't already know. Rather than take my money and tell me 'this can't be done' just tell me it can't be done and let me save my money. How do you want to conclude this?
Yes, simply the answer is "you can't do what you want". I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me where I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Regards
Jins