Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Running Sql Server Express 14.Using Windows Authority.Using

Customer Question
Running Sql Server Express 14. Using...
Running Sql Server Express 14.
Using Windows Authority.
Using WorkGroup (not domain).
Running Windows 7 on 2 computers.
Programming in Delphi and ADO.
Wrote a stored proc that runs OK on the server.
When I run the program on the client computer, it access a table on the server, but, when the program attempts to execute the stored proc, I get the message:
MultiWait Error= The user does not have permission to perform this action
I need help to eliminate the error message.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Programming
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I do not understand "Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed".
6/8/2015
Programmer: Ingo U, Software Engineer replied 2 years ago
Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer
You probably need to explicitly grant execute access to the stored procedure for remote user on the server. Maybe more. If you can remotely "access" the table in some form, it sounds like basic authentication for the remote user is in place.
See
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms345484.aspx
Thanks for the reference to "Grant Permission on a Stored Procedure".
I completed the steps down to
7.Click Browse to display the list of users or roles. Select the users or roles to whom permissions should be granted.
I Need to grant permission to a program running on the client Windows 7 computer.
In SMSS, how do I do authorize or give permission to a login or user on the client computer?
Dave
well the SQL/windows authentication scheme has been a recurring cause of headscratching seemingly forever.
As an easy attempt, I would try giving access to 'guest' and/or 'public' (since you seem to be on an isolated home network that should be OK). Once you click that Browse button at step 7, those should be among the choices you can select.
Depending on how you've set up your windows user accounts on both machines, it's unclear exactly how your client program is authenticating itself to the server. Are you using a connection string with an explicit username/password? Or does it contain "Integrated Security=True" somewhere?
I have previously given access to guest and/or public.
I have tried client authentication with 1) explicit username/password ***** 2) Integrated Security=True".
So far, the client computer continues to produce the message:
"MultiWait Error= The user does not have permission to perform this action"
From above:
I Need to grant execute permission to a program running on the client Windows 7 computer.
The answer will be complete when we can eliminate the MultiWait message.
My apologies,
I am out of ideas on this one at the moment.
I am opting out and opening the question up to other professionals here who may be able to help.
Regards,
Ingo U
I do have one additional idea. In some cases, I've had better luck when user accounts were named the same on multiple workgroup machines, and had the same password. So if your SQl server machine has a user named "Tom", try creating an identical "Tom" user on the client machine, with the same password, and access the server from the client machine while using the "Tom" account.
There is some info out there to support this:
http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/15056/howto-use-windows-authentication-with-sql-server-2008-express-on-a-workgroup-net
Ingo U
Ingo U
Ingo U, Software Engineer