Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I am looking simple location map that I can select and

Customer Question
I am looking for a...
I am looking for a simple location map that I can select and go to my subject and label it as I want (Ex. Subject) then go to various other locations on the map and label then (Ex. Sale 1, Sale2) and place the map by copying and pasting in my reports.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Programming
6/4/2015
Programmer: david, Programming Guru replied 2 years ago
david
david, Programming Guru
I would be glad to help. Before I begin, I'd like to know a bit more about your problem.
Can this application be part of a web page that would require an internet connection to use?
To create your labels, would right-clicking at the location on a Google Map be an acceptable method for creating them?
Do you only need to capture a still image of the labeled map to put in your reports?
I write commercial reports for banks. I have several location maps that need to go into the reports. First is usually a simple location map with the address input for the subject and then I label that location for the subject with simply SUBJECT WITH A BALLOON marking it. Next is usually a land sales map that depicts the Subject location and land sales comparables labeled 1,2,3,4,.......8 and so on. The next map is usually a map of the improved sales so I repeat the same except some of the improved sales may be in surround cities. The same with the following map which might be lease comparables. If you like I can send you copies of a few of the maps I have made.
If you are able to attach images of your maps, yes that would help. You can use the paperclip icon in your chat menu to attach images.
Also, if you can walk me through the process you would take to create the map that would help. If you could start by telling me the type of data you have to start with, and then in a very detailed step-by-step way how you would use that information to create the labelled map that would help as well. Google maps has some limitations to content creation, so I want to make sure I can enable all the functionality you want with it.
I will try to articulate. If you would like a copy of one of my reports I can send it to you in pdf. Here goes.......Lets say a bank wants me to appraise a proposed medical office. The tell me where it is going to be built either with an address or a survey that might not have an address yet. I type in the address in my map program (or go to the location using the survey) and make my first map of the report....a Subject location map. Then after describing what I am going to do in the report the next location map needed is a land sales map. I research land sales similar to the subject site, let's say 4 of them and then I make a location map with the Subject location and each of the land sales or listings. They are labeled Sale 1, Sale 2, so forth. The next map I will need is a map with sales of similar improved properties (hopefully other medical offices, or offices that a re comparable to the proposed medical office. Perhaps I find 5 of them that have sold within the market area within the last 2 years. The Improved Sales Comparison Map will have the Subject and the 5 comparable sales located on it. Not by address. I find them by inputting the addresses but I label them Improved Sale 1, 2 , 3, 4 and 5. Then I research and locate comparable rentals (leases) perhaps 4 of them. I need a similar map for them. Hope this helps. I will be glad to send you a sample map via email if you like.
I see. So you need an easy way to add markers to a map based on address and each marker needs the ability to display some customized text.
Are you expecting this map app to find the additional properties based on the criteria you just mentioned, or do you have another tool for that?
I expect the map program to find any property I need to label via and address. If there is no address the I look at a survey, etc. or a description of what it is close to and fid it that way. Where is the paper clip that I send you a sample map with?
If you don't have any menu icons in your chat window, you may not be using a browser that supports those features. Instead, can you upload a sample image or pdf to:
http://www.wikisend.com
and then give me the upload link so I can take a look at it?
I am not good at this. First is the download link next is the forum link HOPE YOU GET IT
http://wikisend.com/download/523710/Mapto My Answer.docx
[URL=http://wikisend.com/download/523710/Mapto My Answer.docx]Mapto My Answer.docx[/URL]
I see. The simplest way to do this would be to create a "my Map" using Google Maps. You can search for locations by address, and then customize the look of the marker and the description text. You can also print the map as an image or a pdf to use for your reports. There are a lot of other things you can do with this app as well. Give it a try and feel free to ask me any questions you have about it:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/
So, do I go to Google Maps , and how do I create "my Map"?
I can go to google maps but I don't know how to create MY Maps
Can you tell me how to create My Maps?
If you visit the exact link I provided, you will be given a prompt to create a new map. After accepting, you wil be given a lot of new options that are not normally available on the normal google maps page. You will type in an address in the search bar as you normally would, but once the marker is placed at the address, clicking on it will give you the option to add it to your map, to add descriptive text, and to change the marker icon using the sidebar. You will also want to click the options next to your map name and change the marker labels from name to description so that your description show up next to the marker. Once you've added all your markers and text, you can print to either an image or pdf using the sidebar as well.
Feel free to ask me any questions about the specifics if you get lost.
I am going to give it a try David. Will get back to you.
I pulled up the map and selected an address and it went to it. I tried to title the map and I sent it to my desktop. I could not figure how to put other addresses on it, guess I could just do it, but I have no clue how to label my selected addresses as I want to. Perhaps I should talk to you on the phone as I am trying to follow directions?
After typing an address and selecting the correct one from the drop-down or hitting enter, a green marker should show up at the location. Then click the marker and choose "Add to map". Then click on the red marker that replaced the old marker, and click on the Pencil icon near the bottom right of the marker's description box. You can then change the title or description for that marker. I prefer to write in the description box so that the address is still attached to the marker. Repeat these steps for all the markers you need. Then in the side bar under the layer name that contains all of your markers, click the "inidividual styles" link and then for "set labels" you can pick name or description to show that data next to the marker. Once the correct data is listed next to all of your markers, you can resize the map to show all the markers in the way that you would like. THen click the "..." option button in to the "add layer, share" section of the side bar, and choose print map. You can choose PDF which will create a downloadable PDF of the map, or you can choose image which will allow you to print it directly.
IF any of those steps are unclear please let me know and I can explain in more detail.
David, I don't see any pencil icon. So, I am stuck. You may have to get on my computer with me so tutor me through this. I am trying to get a lot of work out so tomorrow would be best to communicate with you and the time will be at your convenience.
Please visit this link to see an image of a marker with the description box open and the Pencil Icon with "edit" listed below it:
http://i.imgur.com/nzozZ3v.png
You will first need to add your marker to your map with "add to map" when you click on the green marker. Then it will turn red and allow you to bring up the menu shown in my image. Once you click the pencil icon you can edit the name and description of that marker.
When I click that link just several pages of letters, signs, etc. come up. The top it does say I.imgur.com
So I am not able to do anything with Google Maps without further instruction
Hmm, I suspect you did not copy the entire URL. It sounds like you are seeing the homepage for imgur.com. Make sure you copy the whole URL including the "nzozZ3v.png". If you load the URL correctly, you will only see an image that shows the part of Google maps I was referring to in my previous post.
Simply Highlight the entire URL by clicking and dragging with your mouse, then hit Ctrl+C. Then in your browser click the address bar and hit Ctrl+V to paste the URL and hit enter to see the image.
I have a small copy of the map now in the left upper corner of the page an there is a small pencil tabbed edit but the map has Rockefeller Center 3D Rockefeller plaza New York 10112 Google+page. I am not able to Highlight the entire URL (is that the map or the address). ????
Yep that is correct. My image has that address in it.
So on your own map, once you search for an address, and add it as a green marker, click on the marker and click "add to map". This will turn the marker red. THen click the marker again, and a menu will pop up that looks like my image. Click the pencil icon in the bottom right of that menu (it will say "Edit" when you hover over it) and then you can edit the name or description.
David I cannot get the small map in the upper left corner to do anything. Cannot type and address, cannot make the Rockefeller Center 3D Rockefeller plaza New York 10112 Google+page go away, cannot expand map, can't get it to do anything.
Make sure you are on this page:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/
Then type in the address you want in the search bar, and then follow the marker directions I gave earlier.
If you are having trouble switching between this chat and google maps, you may want to print this chat page, and then use that while you navigate google maps.
But you should be able to keep two browser tabs or windows open and do it that way as well.
I have it printed and try house it. So, do I just use two different browsers to do that?
I am having to get a password ***** Google
I cannot get into Google. I need to fill out the account information again.
I see. I did not realize that feature requires a Google account to use. Do you have a Google account? If not I would recommend signing up for one, as it will allow you to use this product and hundreds of other Google products for free.
If you already have an account, can you let me know what the specific problem is? Is it not accepting your password? IF so, have you tried resetting the password?
I am sorry David, I cannot get two browsers going at once I will try firefox
SUre. Remember you can hit Ctrl+T to create a new tab in your browser. This will allow you to switch between two different web pages without having to reload them. Ctrl+Tab will allow you to switch between them quickly.
GOOGLE KEEPS ASKING FOR NAMES AND PASSWORDS WHICH I DO NOT HAVE AND DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH TO GET IN AND I HAVE ASKED THEM TO CALL ME.
I AM TRYING TO SIGN UP FOR IT BUT HAVING HARD TIME. PERHAPS WHEN AND IF THEY CALL ME I CAN GET IT DONE.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE.
I would go to this page to sign up for a google account:
DANGEROUS URL REMOVED%2F%3Fgws_rd%3Dssl&hl=en
Once you fill out all of the fields, hit Next and you should be set up. Let me know if you run into any trouble.
I am going to do this later. I am very busy right now. Sorry I am so flummoxed trying to follow your instructions.
I just realized my URL was censored probably because it was over HTTPS. Let me try a different Google sign up address:
http://accounts.google.com/SignUp
OR just:
accounts.google.com/SignUp
Once you visit that link, fill in the fields and you should have a new google account you can use with Maps. I really think this is going to be the best solution to your problem. Not only is it a free app, but it can be used on any device with a web browser, and your map data is automatically saved and accessible with any device signed into your google account. The signup process is really easy and straightforward, you just need to fill in all of the details to ensure your account is secure and authenticated.
I am trying to get started with Google. They say I have an email address with them but they don't want to use it. They ask or another and I give it to them and they ask when the last time I used my Google account. I have no idea when IF I ever did and there they leave me stopped. What can I do to get through to them that I have no idea when I used a Google account. I use Google often to get on enter net but?????????????????????????
Have you tried resetting your password? Hopefully you still use the secondary email account is used for password ***** Try visiting this link and follow the instructions to reset your password, and then check any of your other email accounts or cell phones (via text message) for the instructions:
http://www.google.com/accounts/recovery/
Not yet resolved will try again in a few hours
OK, let me know if you do figure out the username of your old google account and are able to complete the reset password *****
David, I think I got into Google. Got a new password ***** all. So now do I just try to get into Google maps and follow you instructions?
I went to Google Maps and typed address in and a red not green marker showed up. I clicked the marker and a balloon popped up with the address on it. However there is no option to choose "Add to map"
David, again I go to Google Maps and put in an address and a red marker shows up. I click the marker and a balloon (rectangular) shows up. I click the red marker and there is no option to "Add to map" or a Pencil icon.
When I click to save the address I put in and then go to another address the red marker is gone from the first one.
I have reset my password ***** Google. How do I get to the pencil mark Icon?
It sounds like you are using the standard Google Maps app, and not the "My Maps" feature. First I would make sure you are logged into your Google account here:
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
Then, make sure the address you type in is exactly this:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/
You should see a big popup menu that asks you to create a new map when you visit that address. If you are not seeing the popup box, let me know.
I need to get some reports out with deadlines. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks
Sure. Feel free to let me know where you are stuck or need help whenever you have time. I will keep the question open until we've found a satisfactory solution.
I will keep the question open for you, so you have time to try out my solution and let me know if it worked or if you need my help along the way. Here's a link to the question page if you need it:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer-programming/94mkx-looking-simple-location-map-select.html#
Sorry I've been busy. Will reconnect Monday if possible
No problem at all. When you do have time, please try reading through the whole chat history and if you get lost just let me know where you are stuck and I can provide more detailed instructions.
Thank you. You are a gentleman as well as a computer expert.
I may need to post occasionally on this page to keep the question active and open, otherwise the question may close and we would lose access to the conversation.
Let me know if you get stuck anywhere on the map creation process. Or if you are able to get through the steps on your own, please make sure to revisit the question page and leave a rating:
When I get into GoogleMapMaker its says it is not working at this time.
Are you seeing the "create a map" "open a map" menu when you first visit:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/
Please let me know if you are seeing the main map menu when you visit:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/
David I am out of state and away from my main computer. I return July 6. Soon as I get organized I will contact you. Thanks
No worries. Just let me know when you have a chance to test it out.
No need to reply if you haven't tried out google maps recently. I just wanted make sure this question stays open, since you are still actively testing out my solution.
Just another friendly check-in. If you think you may need a couple more days to test out the solution, it may be best to RATE one of my posts now which will keep the question active for a longer period. I won't have to post these brief replies as often, and you will still be able to ask me any questions on this page in the future.
Still planning to get back with you on this. Work keeps pouring in, trying to keep up.
Kent
No worries. But it appears the question was closed temporarily, preventing me from responding. I may have trouble responding in the future if the question is inactive for more than three days.
It may be better if you are able to test out Google Maps a small piece at a time, that way we can still work through the problem but you only need to spend a few minutes every couple days.
Otherwise the question may close permanently, and you would have to create a new question that might go to a different expert.
If you are able to simply visit:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/
and let me know if the "create a map" menu shows up, that would be a good starting point.
Still needing to get a location map. I think you might have solved how to use Google Maps to do it. I jus need to work with you on it. For a while Google Maps was out of service don't know if they still are. sorry my work load has prevented me from working with you. Still need the help when I can get the time.
I doubt that Google Maps was ever down for more than an hour. They very rarely have server issues due to the number of customers they deal with on a regular basis.
Instead, I suspect the issue you were having was due to you not being logged into your Google account before visiting the Maps URL.
You should be able to login from any google page by looking at the top right for an account icon and using it to login to your account.
Can you call me at(###) ###-####
I am in google maps but a "create a map menu" does not show up
Google maps was down for several days, it said they were updating. I was really surprised they were down that long.
I do get a "Just Map It"
You should see this menu:
http://i.imgur.com/tnBvnSf.jpg
If not, then you must not be logged in. You will need to go to:
Http://www.google.com
And click on the "Sign In" button in the top right. On the next page enter your new google username and password, and click the sign in button. Then once the next page loads, try loading the google maps URL from my previous posts again.
Please let me know when you have a chance to try out my previous instructions.
So sorry. I can get into Google Maps, I have a Google account name and password ***** there is no sign in button. I do get a map ad it says create a map. When I click it nothing happens.
What is a URL?
The Google Maps URL is this: https://www.google.com/maps/d/ You just need to type it or copy and paste it into the address bar of your web browser. When you load this page, do you see your name in the top right corner of the page in the dark grey tool bar?
Yes I do. Tell me what to do from there. Often times the things that I am supposed to click on, etc. are not there. Can we talk o the phone? My number is(###) ###-####
For the "Just Map It" message you see, are there any other options presented to on the Google Maps page? Or is that the only text you see on the page?
Now I don't have the "Just Map it" anymore. When I click on my Google account name the choices it has Join Google-Privacy then MY ACCOUNT-Privacy then Add Account and sign out. If you can call me now at(###) ###-####maybe we could get this done?
I'm sorry but I am unable to provide over-the-phone support at this time. If you are seeing your name in the upper right corner, then you are signed in.
What menu options do you see on the entire page for Google Maps? Do you see these three options?
Create a new map
Open a map
Take a tour
Also, what operating system and browser are you using for this? Are you using Mac OS X with Chrome, or are you using Windows via Parallels?
Once you are able to answer my previous questions I will able to figure out why the Google Maps site is not loading correctly for you.
Again I apologize that I am unable to provide phone assistance at this time. Our site is currently experimenting with a new phone system, so it will take some time before this feature is available to all experts.
But I am 100% confident in my solution to your problem, so if you are able to answer a few of my troubleshooting questions that I posted earlier, I will be able to identify the source of your problem, and get you back on the right track with my Google Maps solution.
david
david
david, Programming Guru